Daftest question.

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Carrog

Daftest question.

Post by Carrog »

This may well be the daftest question many of you will have heard for a while.... but can a short legged bull usually cover non-short cows? Grateful for any answers!
Saffy

Re: Daftest question.

Post by Saffy »

Unless you have the tallest long leg cows ever and the shortest short legged bull - you have absolutely NO worries!

An 18 month old, small type long leg I bred...sorry to be confusing...but not much bigger than a shortie...and only 18 months old is with a herd of Welsh Blacks at the moment having serviced his Dexter girlies. And he WILL manage JUST fine, I saw a small...or was it short ; ) video of him when he was turned in...boy did he look pleased!!!
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

We have a short legged 5 year old bull, hasn't had any problems with our cattle, and been out on hire to a couple of small herds without any trouble
Humberdale Dexters (31319)
Holderness
East Yorkshire
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

Our short legged bull's first calf was to a Jersey - and it's a cracking (non-so) little calf.
monica a waltho

Post by monica a waltho »

Our first bull was short and he served simmental cross holstein suckler cow no probs biggest problems with dexter bulls is stopping them this bull you knew cow was coming bulling 2/3 days before he served her as he would follow her round .Just watch him with heifer calves as dexter come into season young.
Monica Waltho (01536)
(see Smallwood Dexters on facebook)
Staffordshire
Carrog

Post by Carrog »

Thanks very much! That's set my mind at rest - he's still a bit young really but despite being keen we hadn't seen any activity that looked likely to have been successful. I guess as he gets a bit older and more experienced that should improve?Thanks again!
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

It's certainly harder work for a smaller bull and larger cows but it's certainly possible and likely that he'll get them in calf providing you're not expecting him to serve a lot of cows in a short space of time. I think any problems with libido are a completely separate issue to size, though, and would apply in a long legged bull the same.
Carrog

Post by Carrog »

He is about 20 months and only has 8 cows to serve. I'm quite happy not to have too tight a calving window as it will be our first time too! Having been to a few sales now I would say only one of the eight is a particularly tall long legged dexter - so from the replies and advice here it sounds like everything could work out fine! I guess to people who've been doing it a while it's hard to imagine just what sort of daft things begginners don't know!
Last edited by Carrog on Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Louisa Gidney

Post by Louisa Gidney »

The first short legged bull I used was less than a year old and successfully covered a big long leg female.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham
monica a waltho

At 20mths he should be keen and certainly capable
Monica Waltho (01536)
Staffordshire
monica a waltho

some dont like to be watched
Monica Waltho (01536)
Staffordshire
davidw

Post by davidw »

Things can go wrong though. One of my bulls got a little over enthusiastic with a lady 3 times his size and strained himself. He did recover despite the vet not holding out much hope for him. He didn't lose his enthusiasm either.
David Williams
Gaveston Herd
Warwick
car

Post by car »

A short leg bull should be more than able to serve a none short cow. But with any animal, it is conformation that is the key. A bull with its hind legs too far underneath its body, is going to be prone to slipping while trying to serve. This can cause what is called broken penis it doesn't actually break the penis but causes a lot of pain. A bull with hind legs that are too straight, is predisposed to stifle and hock problems. Both of these conditions mean that the bull is reluctant to follow and serve his cows. Hope all goes well for you.
Carrog

Post by Carrog »

Thank you all for your time in clearing this up for me!