Seeking contact with Dexter breeder in UK ( might be Scotland)

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
JamsHundred

Seeking contact with Dexter breeder in UK ( might be Scotland)

Post by JamsHundred »

Sometime within the past couple of years there was a Dexter breeder who uses this board and breeds dwarf carrier cattle who posted his statistics regarding percentage of loss in his herd which was less than 1/4 of the mathmatical statistics normally predicted.

I would like to contact him or have him contact me. If you recall the post or the breeder, I would appreciate that information.

Most modern Dexter owners simply are not aware the Dexter breed was founded on dwarf Dexter cattle, and it is from these little cattle the brochures were developed and the breed promoted and preserved. The dwarf cattle symbolize and retain the genetic characteristics we treasure in the Dexter breed, and this lack of knowledge and negative "press" is creating a loss of these little treasures world-wide.

Judy
USA
JamsHundred

Re: Seeking contact with Dexter breeder in UK ( might be Scotland)

Post by JamsHundred »

I would also like to get in touch with Clive ( Taylor?) who posted as Broomcroft with a website of the same title, and was very active on this board and other Dexter groups a few years ago and seems to have left the breed entirely.

Is there anyone who still keeps in touch with Clive or knows how to get in touch with him?

Thanks,
Judy
USA
Jac

Post by Jac »

I don't think Clive has moved you should be able to find his contact details in past herd books.
Kirk- Cascade Herd US

Post by Kirk- Cascade Herd US »

I'm breeding "dwarfs" to "dwarfs" with no losses at all. All my "dwarfs" are tested non-chondro.

Most "dwarf" Dexters in the past were just naturally short and non-chondrodysplasia. That's why breeding dwarf to dwarf can result in far fewer than 25% losses (zero losses in my case).

Dwarf simply means "shorter than usual". Dexters are shorter than usual cattle.

It's quite likely that only a very small minority of original Dexters had chondrodyplasia. It was the true-short non-chondro Dexters with truly short genetics that defined the breed. The chondrodyplasia disease gene can be found in all sorts of breeds (even rats and mice) so it definitely doesn't define Dexters.