Two German Shepherd attack Dexters

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
RobBen

Two German Shepherd attack Dexters

Post by RobBen »

At around 5.30pm tonight two dogs were seen attacking one of our Dexters near the Filly Inn, Brockenhurst, New Forest. This is a reminder to all who use common land etc. Not all dogs or owners are under control!. We and the New Forest Agister have been out checked them , had a count up as best we can in the dark and can see no damage or DOGS!! will update tomorrow.

Rob
Duncan MacIntyre

Re: Two German Shepherd attack Dexters

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

Horrible business to have to face Rob. There are so many different reasons why these incidents happen, sometimes the owner just does not give a stuff, sometimes the owner is incredibly responsible and an escape just happens, but every dog owner should know that their dog, regardless of size or breed, can cause damage to livestock. Hope all is well in daylight.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Jac

Post by Jac »

Had an incident with a neighbour's dog that had escaped into one of our fields and was running a young bull and a finished steer just before Christmas. Was very concerned as the dog was ignoring the owner who was calling frantically from the fence line. Thankfully eventually the dog returned to its owner but was contemplating the insurance claim if she decided to enter the field with rampaging cattle and an overexcited large dog and was injured. Cattle were unharmed but was not best pleased to have the fat run off my steer.
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

How awful!!! I have seen a dog chase mine once and I was shocked, also a dog killed a Herdwick ewe here last February, I didn't catch it or the owner but am fairly sure I know who they are and that the dog has been after my Dexters since, heard her shouting and whistling for the dog...got down there and Dexters very upset, young calf out of puff, we are going to install a "wildlife" camera in the corner of the field this weekend, I am desperate to see what wildlife there is in the field as you can ...imagine! It may be an idea for you Rob??? They can be bought on Amazon from about £55 and I am sure you are interested in wildlife too? If you happened to see a dog there or even an owner it would obviously be ...by mistake but it might be a bonus? I have bought two types and the cheaper ones seems only to take a good pic fairly close up, I paid around £75 for the others. No signage needed for a wildlife camera....
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
davidw

Post by davidw »

Unfortunately, this type of incident is all too common, but the typical attacks are against sheep. Its not a new problem but it does seem to be getting more common and devastating. Another website I follow has reports of dogs attacking livestock at least once every week. Far from the owner having any basis for claim against the livestock owner, you have a legitimate claim against the dog owner in both civil and criminal law.
Years ago, my dad had a German Shepherd attack his dairy cows. When he caught it, he found it was a Police Dog that had escaped from their kennels.
David Williams
Gaveston Herd
Warwick
RobBen

Post by RobBen »

Got the cattle in this morning for breakfast I think we have been lucky this time. One young steer came in on his own after the main gang with mud around his rear so we assumed he was the victim. Fortunately he has no wounds just a bit shaken and feeling sorry for himself (can't blame him!). Its very difficult to do the camera idea in the forest as its such vast area. The cattle spend most of the day and all night out, just coming home for breakfast. Thank you all for your support.

Rob