Vaccinations

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Lolivaise

Vaccinations

Post by Lolivaise »

Having a think through our vaccination program for this year, and was interested to find out what other people tend to do.

I know our vaccines will be slightly different out here in France, but for the moment we have our two in calf heifers vaccinated for BVD (Bovela vaccine out here) and plan to vaccinate them against Rota and Corona viruses in the run up to calving. I’m hesitating over the calf vaccines for respiratory disease given that they only come in packs of five dose and hopefully we will only have two calves, which means a lot of wasted vaccine.

What are your vaccination policies (if any!)? Do Dexters tend to be more stoic than the fragile dairy breeds?
Roxane
Lolivaise Dexters 34441
Normandy, FRANCE
Jac

Re: Vaccinations

Post by Jac »

When we first started in smallholding I used to vaccinate the sheep for anything going - even accidentally jabbed the other half for seven deadly sheep diseases! Now more reserved. Don't vaccinate the herd for BVD as we are in a health scheme and now with a closed herd policy don't vaccinate for other things unless our vet advises otherwise as he did some years ago with the blue tongue risk as unnecessary vaccination is expensive.

The Dexter has always been promoted as robust and hearty but if hygiene is a bit iffy, diseases are introduced into the herd or are on the land I can't see that they are any different to any other breed. I am sure Duncan will be on soon to give his opinion
ann

Re: Vaccinations

Post by ann »

(Re plan to vaccinate them against Rota and Corona viruses in the run up to calving.)
I would be very surprised if you needed to vaccinate for the above. Both viruses are more commonly found in big herds housed inside I have only ever had one calf with Rota virus and it was a brought in diary calf in the days when I use to double suckle and none of my dexters got it. However my advice would be to discuss this with your vet.