Angus on Dexter

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
RobBen

Angus on Dexter

Post by RobBen »

Hello, Thinking of using a Angus Bull on some of our Dexter cows. Any opinions would be helpful.
ann

Re: Angus on Dexter

Post by ann »

Are you thinking of using AI or to buy a bull, I have friends who have non reg dexters and they have used an AI easy calving bull for several years with no problems. Not sure about a bull, they are so big these days.
RobBen

Post by RobBen »

Thinking of using a young traditional type bull not one of the large Canadian types. I have my eye on one that has been used on Heifers with no problems. He is 3.5 years old.
ann

Post by ann »

You will have to keep us posted as to how it works out
Boofarm

Post by Boofarm »

DSC_0035.JPG
DSC_0028.JPG
Here we go - family group, ma, pa and the wean. Used this guy for two years, sold steer calves store at 300+Kg live at a year old off grass - gave them some hard feed the second time around and they went up to 340Kg. Kept his daughters and they are now nursing Whitebred shorthorn calves.

Moved him on after two years, we never put him to dexter heifers and had no calving issues to the cows at all although we did lose a couple of calves after they were born.

We bought him at about 18 months old and the photo shows him in his second year with us, its fair to say he grew a bit.

We kept one steer to 27 months and he hung up at 270Kg, probably wanted a bit more hard feed to put a finish on him but he was not far away from where he should have been.

We also used a Belted Galloway on a couple of cows and thier steer calves went to 270kg off grass and it is a cross I would recomment - excellent eating
I used to be a farmer but I don't owe anybody anything now - Henry Brewis