older bull

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
debra wiltshire

older bull

Post by debra wiltshire »

Any recommendations for an abattoir in the Leicestershire area where we can take our older bull? He was working quite successfully last year but is 13 this year he is starting to look and act a little elderly ...think its time for him to go. We used to go to a place called Pickstocks but can't seem to find their details anymore. He is a great bull and gave us a huge amount of fun when we took him to shows. Linear scored at EX93...will be sad to see him go!
Debra Wiltshire
Cosmos Dexters,
Lincs/Leics border
Saffy

Re: older bull

Post by Saffy »

That is so sad. Do you want him for mince? If not you could ask the local knacker to come and shoot him at home. I did that with my old bull when he stopped working. It was very quick and no stress for him.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
RobBen

Post by RobBen »

I believe that using your old Bull for food (what ever you have it made into) is a more respectful end to his very useful hopefully enjoyable life. I would like to know what he would eat like and what joints you could have to enjoy.
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

Hi Debra, give Foyles a ring at Six Hills, I know they take cull cows but not sure about bulls.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
debra wiltshire

Thanks Mark...last time I enquired it was for Farm Assured animals only. However we have just got back from taking him to Newark
Debra Wiltshire
Cosmos Dexters,
Lincs/Leics border
davidw

Post by davidw »

Pickstocks at Ashby closed a few years ago. They now operate from a brand new site at Telford. I believe that they wanted to expand the Ashby plant but couldn't get planning permission so moved the whole operation to an industrial estate just North of Telford. I've taken several of my animals there and have always been very impressed by the considerate way that they have been handled.
David Williams
Gaveston Herd
Warwick
debra wiltshire

When I spoke with Telford they said at the time that they were still doing collection from Ashby but I think since that conversation they have now closed up completely. Telford was just too far (approx 3 hours driving each way)
Debra Wiltshire
Cosmos Dexters,
Lincs/Leics border