Question on skull

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
JamsHundred

Question on skull

Post by JamsHundred »

IMG_0045.JPG
IMG_0033.JPG
I am hoping Ms. Gidney can answer this question. I have a photo of the skull which I do not know how to upload, and will do so if someone can tell me how to do it from my computer as I don't use internet photo sites.

I have been working to identify animals from a herd that was closed from 1973 through 2012. The living animals were DNA typed in 2010 and I gathered skulls and bones and over the course of time test when I have personal funds for the project.

I have one female skull that is a dark grey in color, mottled with white spots. Other bones gathered in the same area tend to be white and some are a deep golden color. All were taken from on top of the ground in a wooded area. This skull has been DNA typed but I am trying to identify the age of this cow as there is no parentage comparison so far to any of the other samples.

Ms. Gidney, could you tell me how bones age as far as coloring? I am sure whether they are in sun or shade are a factor, but does the passing of time change the color, all things being equal?

Thanks,
Judy
Last edited by JamsHundred on Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saffy

Re: Question on skull

Post by Saffy »

Hello Judy.

This might help you put the pic on yourself, there are probably other ways...

1. Click on Attachments below, then a red box will appear lower down which says add files.

2. Click the add files box and go to the files of your choice. "On my computer I find it easiest to send my chosen photographs to "desktop and take them from there."

3. Click on the picture you require and click open.

4. Wait for it to load up. Then click the words....place in line.

Hope it works for you!

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
JamsHundred

Post by JamsHundred »

THANK YOU Stephanie. I should have figured that out myself! What a dolt. It is exactly how I do it on a different group. duh.

I uploaded them and they are above the original message. The one I had in mind when I wrote the message is at the bottom, and I added the larger one to show some variation in this coloring/aging?
Louisa Gidney

Post by Louisa Gidney »

The top skull is male and not very old at all as the horn sheaths are still present.
The bottom skull is female and has been exposed to the elements for much longer. It's lost the premaxilla and nasal bones for a start. The mottling looks like fungal or lichen growth. How long it's been exposed I really couldn't guess. I don't have experience of forensic archaeology. I would suggest you Google for body farm and forensic archaeology as the people who monitor the sub aerial decay of human bodies might be able to suggest a timeframe.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham