a plug for our yorkshire neighbours

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
SteveM

a plug for our yorkshire neighbours

Post by SteveM »

A Yorkshire post article about Rosewood Farm

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/et ... -1-9155747
Humberdale Dexters (31319)
Holderness
East Yorkshire
Jac

Re: a plug for our yorkshire neighbours

Post by Jac »

What a brilliant article not to mention a tremendous personal achievement. Well done Rob for promoting our diverse breed. :)
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

The photographer asked if I could hold a chicken, I had to insist that wasn't on message.
Louisa Gidney

Post by Louisa Gidney »

Unfortunately the article hung my dodgy internet connection but breed promotion is a lot of work and I hope Rob gets the benefit of more beef sales.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham
Jac

Post by Jac »

A Yorkshire post article about Rosewood Farm

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/et ... -1-9155747
Bit personal I know but did you do this without any form of government assistance Rob?
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

We get BPS on the home site (37 acres), and earn little enough to claim tax credits, but other than that, no Stewardship etc., just determination.
Jac

Post by Jac »

Thanks for your honesty wasn't being nosy just doing some research into viability.
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

From the beef income alone you need about 300 head of Dexters on the ground at any one time, sold direct, for a single wage. The biggest killer is the cost of housing for both cattle and people - round here a lot of the farms have been sold off to non-farmers and the buildings no longer used for cattle.

The combination of food shortages due to this winter and Brexit could turn the fortunes around very quickly though - I forsee difficult times ahead for the country's food supplies in about 12-18 months time.
Jac

Post by Jac »

Yes, worrying times ahead. I hate the idea of intensive farming it's not good for people, the animals or the environment. Population worries me and I really don't like live animal exports for slaughter purposes either.
From the beef income alone you need about 300 head of Dexters on the ground at any one time, sold direct, for a single wage.
That is mind-boggling although not unexpected.