climate change

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
aimeeh kirkwood dexters

climate change

Post by aimeeh kirkwood dexters »

hello all
hope everyone is keeping ok
this is a question for everyone but especially the ones that deal with the meat side
as part of my animal management course we have to do a project. we get given a theme but have to come up with a title. I have come up with
'Has climate change affected the carcass weight of cattle on a local regional and global level'
before I submit my form, I was just wondering if people do think climate change has affected carcass weights or whether it is related to something else.
many thanks
aimee
A.HARRISON
Louisa Gidney

Re: climate change

Post by Louisa Gidney »

Sorry, I think the short answer is no. I discussed different phenotypes within one population in a poster that is online on my academia page, Google Estimated withers heights and the range of height within a population: modern Dexter catalogue as an analogue for Romano-British cattle.
In particular this reference:
John Hammond 1960. Farm Animals: Their Breeding, Growth and Inheritance. London, Edward Arnold Ltd. Note especially Figure 137.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham