Short or non-short?

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Carrog

Short or non-short?

Post by Carrog »

I'm still quite new to Dexters and this year we had our first calves - but I'm struggling to workout if they are short or non-short. We only have three and they are all from a short bull and non-short mothers - so 50:50 chance - all three look the same but I look at photographs on the internet and often am surprised to see animals described as one thing when they look the other (to me!) Is there a sure fire way of telling just by looking if a calf is short or non short? (They're about 6 months old.)
Saffy

Re: Short or non-short?

Post by Saffy »

You can have a dna test by sending off a hair sample. The hairs have to be pulled out so that the root is on it.
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Carrog

Post by Carrog »

Thanks for your reply - where do you send samples? Is it Uk based? Is there a general rule of thumb visual way to tell? Or ratio of measurements?
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

Post some decent pictures and we can say what we think, the older they get the easier it is visually to tell.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I generally look at them from a distance and compare the profile, height versus length and general shape, see if one stands out from the others, assuming all mothers are long legged if they are all generally the same proportion then probably all long legged. As Mark suggests posting pics should get some answers
Humberdale Dexters (31319)
Holderness
East Yorkshire