yorkshire post article about dexter herd

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
SteveM

yorkshire post article about dexter herd

Post by SteveM »

another article from the Yorkshire post promoting our breed.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/de ... -1-9493337
Humberdale Dexters (31319)
Holderness
East Yorkshire
Rob R

Re: yorkshire post article about dexter herd

Post by Rob R »

It's good to see another article featuring Dexters but I'm a tad concerned about the contents. To my mind the Dexter has retained such good eating qualities where other breeds have failed precisely because we are not subject to the pressure of commercial buyers who, it says, are looking for consistency of size & confirmation at a certain age, not taste. I'm very much focussed on getting the best animal to thrive on our semi-natural pastures and it inevitably means more variability, but by dealing direct with the consumer we an communicate these aspects and they, above all else, are looking for good eating quality, not identical sized steaks which they can get from the supermarket.
Louisa Gidney

Post by Louisa Gidney »

I agree with Rob about eating quality. I sold beef from a small short-leg steer before Christmas and have been getting rave feedback. What slightly concerns me about this herd of 70 odd head is that I can't find the chap in the herd book. That's a lot of fees DCS is missing out on. I feel we do need to promote DCS to people like this. Also the shows, he's within spitting distance of Wensleydale show but mine were the only Dexters in Any Other Native Breed. Cattle secretary was delighted to see us and would probably put on separate classes if there were a couple more exhibitors.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

I was pleased to have a customer the other day who had looked us up on the Dexter beef website :)
ann

Post by ann »

looking at the new fees from the DCS I think there may be less dexters reg not more :(
Louisa Gidney

Post by Louisa Gidney »

Many thanks to Steve for posting the link to this article. I've made contact with Mr Raw and he's coming to see the senior bull this week, with a view to a long term loan.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham
Louisa Gidney

Post by Louisa Gidney »

delta.jpg
Here is Baranduin Delta in 2015. Mr Raw has now borrowed him for a year, with an option on a second year. Mr Raw is a very nice, sensible chap, who understands cattle. Delta has been hired to sire pedigree heifers to expand the breeding herd. This is in response to demand for birth notified steers from registered parents.
The Yorkshire Post article slightly mis-represented what Mr Raw's trying to do, which is get groups of about 4 level steers finishing at the same time. He's not bothered if one bunch are short and one non-short, provided he can draw an even bunch at one time.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

Louisa Gidney wrote: The Yorkshire Post article slightly mis-represented what Mr Raw's trying to do,
That doesn't surprise me - I don't think I've ever been represented 100% accurately by the media.