Dexter Bull wanted to Hire

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Nikola Thompson

Dexter Bull wanted to Hire

Post by Nikola Thompson »

Hi I am looking for a Dexter Bull to hire from April, May time. Non short but preferably a smallish bull.

West Midlands area.
SteveM

Re: Dexter Bull wanted to Hire

Post by SteveM »

HI Nikola, may help if you give your location, for those who don't know you.
Humberdale Dexters (31319)
Holderness
East Yorkshire
Vallets Farm

Post by Vallets Farm »

Hello Nikola
We are in the West Midlands (near Bridgnorth) and have a Dexter bull for hire. I don't have photos, but can arrange these if you are still looking. He is black, non-short and 4 yrs old. We only have 2 cows, so he is a bit underworked. He has produced 5 calves so us so far, but hasn't been off the holding since he was born (January 2015). He is not registered or has any fancy bloodlines, just a good, placid, able bull.
Nikola Thompson

Post by Nikola Thompson »

Thank you for your message but I would like to register any females so I think I will need a registered bull. Best wishes.
Louisa Gidney

Post by Louisa Gidney »

Are you in a TB 4 year testing area?
Rosewood Glenkinchie is currently available, there's a photo of him on the Herd Photos thread.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham
Vallets Farm

Post by Vallets Farm »

Can I ask everyone - am I wasting my time advertising the hire of a non-Registered bull? Do people on this site generally only want registered bloodlines for Dexters?

When we started keeping Dexters we were just glad of a bull, so haven't pursued the registration and bloodlines route, so maybe this is now working against us. If so, Robin at Vallets Farm is destined to go to Pickstocks - poor lad.

Do you (as a whole) recommend registration? Is it too late for Robin?
Louisa Gidney

Post by Louisa Gidney »

Normally, the first thing anyone asks, when wanting to borrow one my bulls, is whether he is registered. Interest in the pedigree usually only extends to the degree of relationship with the cows to be served.
I would certainly never use an unregistered bull. I'm the first to agree that registering a bull is a faff, that has seemingly not improved with the new brooms, and an off putting expense upfront. However, in the context of using AI as an alternative, natural service is more effective. Stud fees are about the same as semen cost and I'd rather keep the live animal and have him to sell in the cull ring than pay AI storage costs.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham
Vallets Farm

Post by Vallets Farm »

Thanks for your input Louisa, much appreciated.
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

I would think 99% of people on here would want pedigree stock. You probably need to think which route you want to go down. There are costs with pedigree but if the dreaded TB hits you will get a better deal I believe, plus the stock is usually worth a bit more.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

The only reason I would look at an unregistered bull is for beef. I've kept unregistered cows within the herd for 20 years but am now culling them and their offspring out, but have never used an un registered bull.