Payment for transfer of ownership

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
debra wiltshire

Payment for transfer of ownership

Post by debra wiltshire »

Hello,
I have just been advised by the that from the beginning of this year we have to pay for transfer of ownership.
This changed has passed us by and now we are feeling a little foolish but then we should keep on top of the paperwork! Trying to
now catch up on long overdue reading, could anyone tell me where this information can be found? My latest bulletin
is September 18, is that right? There is no mention in this issue, in fact it still shows the old way. p.31
If we are selling stock to a non member, who does not want to breed do we still have to pay for the transfer? Does this apply
to registered and birth notified stock?

Lots of questions!

Dean and Debra Wiltshire
Debra Wiltshire
Cosmos Dexters,
Lincs/Leics border
Jac

Re: Payment for transfer of ownership

Post by Jac »

My understanding of the situation was that the breeder/present owner no longer has any right to the pedigree certificate and that when the animal is sold the pedigree certificate must be returned to the office. It is for the new owner to pay the transfer fee to get the animal transferred and the pedigree certificate.
debra wiltshire

Hi Jac, apparently not now. I have spoken to the society secretary and if I understand correctly, it is now up to the seller to arrange the transfer and pay the fee (even birth notified at a cost of £4.00) All this information was in a letter sent out at the end of last year (which did not arrive in our household) and the new costs are on the society members page. I am assuming everyone has got to grips with this....
Debra Wiltshire
Cosmos Dexters,
Lincs/Leics border
Mark S

Post by Mark S »

I have just received a new style pedigree certificate, on the back of the certificate under sale/transfer it is quite clear that it is the vendor’s responsibility for transferring the animal and is also liable for the transfer fee. I have no recollection of receiving a letter outlining the new transfer procedure.
In future when agreeing a pedigree sale we will make it clear what the purchase price will be and that the relevant transfer fee will be added to the purchase price,

Re pedigree sales at a market we will ensure that the auctioneer announces that the transfer fee will be added to the purchase cost paid by the buyer.

Mark S.

Brereton Herd.
Mark S

Post by Mark S »

More confusion re payment for transfer of ownership. Contacted last night by Alan Carrington to discuss this issue and to clarify if I had reported it correctly that it is the vendor who is responsible for paying the transfer fee.

The reason he was asking the question is that he was issued with a new style pedigree certificate dated 31/1/19 (which he copied to me) it is quite clear on this certificate that it is the purchasers responsibility to pay the transfer fee ?

Assuming the letter was sent out at the end of last year informing us that the vendor is now liable to pay the transfer fee, why was this certificate sent out in January stating it is the purchasers responsibility to pay the fee?

I feel that the Society need to address this issue and to inform the members the reason behind the decision re the change of responsibility for who pays the transfer fee.

Mark S

Brereton Herd
Jac

Post by Jac »

I first became aware of the situation when I registered a heifer at the beginning of December 18 and no, I have no recollection of receiving any letter. There was a discussion about it on the closed Dexter facebook page that Duncan started (post event).
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

I can't put my hand on the paper but I am sure we were told of changes in advance. To be honest I think that the seller paying the transfer fee may reduce the number of good breeding cattle sold and never registered. The last heifer I sold was to be a wedding present and I charged enough to be able to pay the new owners' first membership fee as well as the transfer. Changes had to be made in the Society's finances, some parts were costing DCS more than was coming in. Nor am I going to worry about the birth notification charge It amounts to 0.3% of what I take in for a butchered steer, and mine are very much at the smaller end compared to many deadweights I see mentioned.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
debra wiltshire

I agree with your comments Duncan, but I am wondering what will be achieved if the new purchaser has no desire to join the society? Not sure where the society stands if they try to make contact with the purchaser... GDPR etc. Is the transfer fee the same for non member or member...ie £11.00 per heifer?
Debra Wiltshire
Cosmos Dexters,
Lincs/Leics border
Mark S

Post by Mark S »

I am not in total agreement with Duncan’s comments, he states seller paying the transfer fee may reduce the number of good breeding cattle sold and not registered. In a lot of pedigree breeds of both sheep and cattle there are sales to farmers not members of the relevant breed Society who will have no intention of registering the progeny, joining the society etc They are buying these animal for commercial use, not pedigree so therefore why should the breeder be penalised by having to pay the transfer fee ?

I would maybe have a different view if Dexter’s commanded a better price. Too many breeders are prepared to sell Pedigree Dexter’s at unrealitic prices, in some instances well below the cost of production. This will always hinder the serious breeder when selling stock as they set a price to match the quality of stock on offer but are often told by potential buyers that they can buy cheaper on Preloved.

Mark S

Brereton Herd
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Yes sadly you are wrong Jac, I did my herd return and was hit with a bill!

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Jac

Post by Jac »

? How can you be billed Stephanie doing a herd return? I do agree with Debra that you can't go passing people's names and addresses to third parties without their permission if they don't want anything to do with the Society.
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

All the ones that I transferred out I was billed for.
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Jac

Post by Jac »

Saffy wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:15 am All the ones that I transferred out I was billed for.
OMG Glad I have not filled in my variable direct debit.
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

At the end of the day the Society has to take in enough money to pay for the services it provides. . We are in a catch up period after years of mismanagement where nothing was really as it seemed, and the new system will take time to see how it goes. Lets not panic, give it all a chance.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
ann

Post by ann »

I think the new rules will probably cause sellers to ask if the new owners wish to join the soc and if not, not bother to transfer the pedigrees. I just can't see how legally the DCS can take ownership of the animals pedigree. We pay for the service. The pedigree like the passport belongs to the animal and I can see this idea causing lots of problems. What if the buyer does not want to share their details with the DCS surely we will have to ask them otherwise we are breaching the data protection laws. Re the fact that the society has to make its books balance, although I have ever sympathy with the current council and over the 30+ yrs i have been a member the money that has been wasted on various members schemes is enough to make ones eyes water. I hope the present council has taken out insurance to protect us from any future cock ups. :( :(