Dexter Mentorship

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Saffy

Dexter Mentorship

Post by Saffy »

Dexter Mentorship

If you are new to Dexter cattle ownership, or think you would like to become an owner and feel you need some advice to help you along the way Mentorship might be for you.
I have farmed all my life, milking 100+ cows, calving down 125. The herd were assessed from the very infancy of classification and scored very well, having the first ever Elite cow in Monmouthshire, we also had our share of show success, kept a beef herd, 600 ewes, arable and potatoes, farming on my own for the last 30 years.
Once I no longer had the dairy cows I missed them and have for many years enjoyed keeping Dexters.
Mentorship will initially be offered either online or by telephone but a herd visit can hopefully be arranged at a later date if required.

Some of the subjects covered will include:

Choosing the best animals for your requirements.
Different types of Dexter.
Stock Judging and Conformation.
Fencing, pasture and acreage requirements.
Calving and care of the calf.
Getting your cow in calf, fertility, health and biosecurity.
Handling systems.
What you need in your veterinary box and when to call the vet.

If you contact me by Facebook PM to start with and then we can use Messenger at first, if you don't use Facebook PM on here or email me.
Contact Stephanie Powell - stephanie@duffryndexters.co.uk

You will always have my number if you are stuck.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Louisa Gidney

Re: Dexter Mentorship

Post by Louisa Gidney »

This is an excellent idea. When I started, I had a lot of support from the local Dexter Group. Valerie Roberts lived not far away and was a fount of knowledge. I had no previous experience of large livestock but had read all the books. A good theoretical base is no substitute for practical experience. I also learnt where Valerie had gone wrong and have not made that particular mistake, though have made plenty of my own.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

I see a need for some good, honest advice - breed promotion needs this as I think many people see breed promotion as only mentioning the 'good bits' and omit any advice on dealing with the more challenging aspects of Dexters.
Louisa Gidney

Post by Louisa Gidney »

In reply to Rob, one of Valerie's pieces of advice was "into the life of every Dexter comes one jolly good hiding". This is an exaggeration for most Dexters, but with horned cattle there does usually come a time when one has to establish exactly who is the herd boss, particularly with horned bulls. I've never found it necessary to use the face masks and tethers that Valerie used for her bulls.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham