Poor Sale Prices York

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Mark S

Poor Sale Prices York

Post by Mark S »

Hi

Seeing the poor prices attained at the recent York sale and not having seen the cattle on offer, I can only assume the poor prices/averages were due to the quality of stock on offer or a lack of buyers. If this was due to the stock on offer were people using this as a dumping ground to offload inferior stock. If this was the case then it is time the Society got together with the various Rare Breed Breed sales and promoted them as official Dexter Society Sales and that all stock were inspected by a society inspector for Breed type, correctness etc. It would also be a good idea for minimum prices to be set for heifers, incalf heifers, incalf cows and bulls. To give a good geographical split say Melton Mowbray and Carlisle were selected for these sales. This would then give buyers the opportunity to buy better quality stock. To promote the entry of quality stock would double the entry fee and return 50% if the animal reaches its reserve and sells.
With regard to the York sale looking at some of the averages by the time people have paid the entry fee, paid the transfer fee, transport, cost of production I am sure the breeders were looking at a loss.

Mark S

Brereton Herd
Rob R

Re: Poor Sale Prices York

Post by Rob R »

I doubt there are many herds in the country turning a profit, even with the most well bred, well handled stock there is a time factor to consider and time is one of the biggest costs in farming, along with land.
Louisa Gidney

Post by Louisa Gidney »

The problem with the herd reduction at York was that the chap was selling regardless because he's in 1 year TB testing area and could no longer cope with the workload involved. Most people at York sale, including me, are in 4 year TB testing area and did not want to jeopardise our 4 year TB status by buying in seeming bargains.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham
ann

Post by ann »

I do wonder how many people bought dexters just because they where so cheap and when they got them home realize that things where slightly more complicated than they had thought.
Jac

Post by Jac »

Whilst I understand the feelings of those living in low risk tb areas of the country, when you take an animal to a sale and decide to bring it home because it doesn’t reach the price you were willing to accept then you have by the very nature of sales mingled it with others. The same goes for shows really. I was very surprised when someone told me that if you have an inconclusive result on one you can still move the rest to a sale. I wonder how many bother to isolate things they have purchased at sales until all testing is clear?
ann

Post by ann »

Thats why I didn't bring my steers back even though i was not happy with the price, however I know they have gone to a good home so thats a big plus. Its also why I stopped showing.