Brexit...what next?

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
debra wiltshire

Brexit...what next?

Post by debra wiltshire »

Just an idle thought and would be interested in peoples opinions. But now the 31st has past and we are sailing into unknown waters.
How do you think Brexit is going to effect small scale producers/farmers. Do you think land will become more expensive? More interest
in locally produced food?
As an aside we have definitely seen a drop in meat sales as people seem to be taking on a vegetarian diet. Has anyone else experienced this?
Debra Wiltshire
Cosmos Dexters,
Lincs/Leics border
Jac

Re: Brexit...what next?

Post by Jac »

I don’t think the government is bothered what happens to the farming industry post Brexit as long as they are able to import cheap food from somewhere to feed the masses. I think smallholdings will become more expensive as the fortunate wish to produce wholesome food for themselves. As for local food perhaps moves to get folk out of their cars might make a difference to people living in rural areas with poor alternative transport options. As for decline in sales I think that people are cutting back on all things not just meat. The number of people now selling Dexter beef has risen exponentially over the past ten years and no doubt there are many more selling it cheaply under the radar.
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

I think that dexters will come to the fore more than at present as native breeds get recognition by the environmental schemes and hopefully the public start to recognise their low impact value.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Jac

Post by Jac »

That may be the case Mark but I don’t see the situation as regards demand improving. Whilst they are ideally suited for some types of land due to their small size things would not change in that people keeping them would still have to do all the marketing/sales themselves.
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

Since brexit was announced we've seen sales rise by 100% year on year & many ex-vegans looking for a quality product. I always think a threat to food is good for us producing quality as any shock to the system makes people less complacent with the supermarkets.