Cull cow

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Julie

Cull cow

Post by Julie »

Hi,
This is my first post!
Just wanted to ask all the knowledgeable Dexter owners living especially in Leicestershire / Lincolnshire/ Nottinghamshire area what they do with their cull cattle?
Bearing in mind I don't personally want the meat.
Thanks
Louisa Gidney

Re: Cull cow

Post by Louisa Gidney »

What livestock marts are in your area? I would look at the forthcoming sales and make enquiries.
Up here (N. Yorks/Co. Durham/Northumberland) there are regular sales of cull, or Over Thirty Month (OTM), cattle. I used to book a haulier to take my culls to mart. Sadly he's now retired, so next time I'll have to go myself. At the moment there's a "drop & go" policy, mart staff unload beast and take paper work, vendor doesn't leave vehicle. Cull bull trade is currently very strong locally, so good one vendor made the journey from Kent!
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

We can slaughter our own cattle locally up to 72 months but after that we send them straight to Taylors at Bamber Bridge, who advertise in the Farmers Guardian. Unfortunately they only seem to cover Lancs, Cumbria, Cheshire & Yorkshire, though. It's a real shame as cow beef is perfactly good eating but I haven't yet found an abattoir that private kills over 72 month cattle within a viable distance.
car

Post by car »

How many have you got to go? If it's just the one and especially if it is very old or lame, just ring your local knacker/ fallen stock man, he will deal with it on the property then take it away. Some hunts still take cattle, again they will cull and take away. Nicer for the animal to go at home, but of course money and numbers may be a factor.
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

I have just run a cull cow into JS Meats at Uttoxeter, they paid £130 per kg deadweight for my dexter but just check if you ring them. They only kill 2 days a week and you have to be there for 7.00am.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Julie

Post by Julie »

Thanks for the replies , I only have one old girl to go at moment will have to think about our options.
ann

Post by ann »

HI Mark should there be a gap re the price £130 per kg will have them very busy if its true :) :) :)