Beef Prices

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Mark S

Beef Prices

Post by Mark S »

I will be shortly be selling a steer as freezer packs (mixed hind and fore quarter). We normally sell the majority of our steers direct to a butcher and this is the first we have sold this way for a couple of years. Not yet decided what price to charge and was wondering what other breeders/finishers are charging ?

The steer will be 21 months old at point of slaughter with a good level of finish.The carcass will be hung for 14 days before being butchered and vacuum packed. Thoughts please.

Mark S

Brereton Herd
Louisa Gidney

Re: Beef Prices

Post by Louisa Gidney »

There used to be a suggested price guide on the Dexter Soc website. It wasn't easy to find but somewhere on the beef marketing pages. It averaged out as roughly £11/kg across all cuts. I use the prices from a couple of years ago as a guideline for selling my beef and that gives me a return that covers cost of slaughter & butchery, the price I would expect to get for the animal as a live sale and something for my time and trouble in production and deliveries.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham
Rob R

Re: Beef Prices

Post by Rob R »

My 'average' price not including offal is now £15 per kg but that also includes delivery but not vac-packing.