Sand Cracks - prevention

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

I need some one to advise as to how to prevent sand cracks in hoofs starting.I have a 3 year old heifer in calf for the 2nd time that is showing small signs of cracks coming down from the coronet. I am spraying with an alcohol based tar type mixture that seems to be checking it but what causes them in the first place. All our cattle have their feet done once a year.
I fear it may be yet another mineral deficiency ( is that spelt right) but which one.
Mark
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

The suppliments most often used for hoof quality are Biotin, a vitamin, and zinc. Big time farmers can usually get their feed merchant to supply special requirements in quantity, not much help for us little people. If it is a serious problem I would ask your vet about using one of the horse hoof suppliments which are easy to get in Dexter type quantities.

I would be a little cautious about using anything spirit based as that mey well dry out the hoof and make the problem worse. an oil based product might be better.

If you are relying on grass or hay or silage for most of the year it may be that a general mineral suppliment might make a difference.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
bjreroberts

Re: Sand Cracks - prevention

Post by bjreroberts »

Mark, did you find something suitable to treat this? I have a cow that has one, it is not causing any problems at the moment but would like to try something on it.
Ben Roberts
Trehawben Herd
Bromsgrove
Adam Lowline

Re: Sand Cracks - prevention

Post by Adam Lowline »

I also have ponies, they often get dry hooves in summer when on very restricted grazing. I would recommend an oil based hoof product for horses, don't use any that are called "hoof oil" though as they are quite drying and only used for showing. Cornicresine is an excellent product, although a bit messy to administer(very sticky) but long lasting.
Hope this helps
Adam