Ringworm

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Roy

Post by Roy »

Hi everyone
Can I introduce myself as a new member of this group and a relatively recent convert to dexter keeping. I came back to the discussion in the hope of picking up some advice about a ?rash? of ringworm cases the we have suddenly experienced in the herd, do any of you have the magic solution or is it best to wait for our usually brief Midlands summer to do the job?

In passing, although I am getting the hang of the new system I was disappointed that so much useful advice that I was hoping to call on, in particular from Duncan and others has been lost, could the administrators find a way of archiving messages from the old system for us to root around in?

Roy
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

The info on the old board is not lost, it is merely resting, waiting for our Chris to sort it out to view only.
Mark
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

Hello Roy,
welcome to the world of Dexters and the website. I am glad Mark replied first since I was unsure what stage old stuff was at.
Ringworm is caused by a fungus growing in the hair follicles and once cattle have been infected they are usually immune for life or at least for a long time. You may see it in all ages if it gets into a herd previously free. Have a look at the topic on warts since ringworm came in for a bit of comment there.
Currently there are two very useful product to treat with - Mycophyt or Imaverol. The old griseofulvin granules are no longer licensed for food producing animals. These two products are applied as a spray and should be done over the whole animal not just applied to the spots to get rid of it more effectively. Be sure to steam clean pens, gates etc which may be contaminated and carry on infection.
If all your cattle are going to be outside all the time for a few months and the infection is not too severe it will almost certainly clear up due to ultraviolet light, but it does take time and may interrupt showing and selling.
Remember it is a zoonosis - ie it will infect susceptible humans - especially children so take care.
Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Roy

Post by Roy »

Hi all
Thanks for the reassurances that all the past good work has not been lost.
As for the ringworm, I have spoken to the local vet practice and they feel that their favoured product, Imaverol is no certain solution and requires several doses, so thank you Duncan for your advice, but it looks as if I will have to book a session for the herd at the local tanning studio or wait for our summer to do its work!
Best wishes
Roy :)
Sylvia

Post by Sylvia »

Hello Roy
Just had to say thank you for the mental picture of your Dexters strolling casually into the local sunbed centre. Do you need a bit of help onto the bed Madam? Just wait while I round up 10 fellow workers or track down a small crane. No, no, it is no trouble at all. A handful of haylage or a cream bun and cuppa while you wait? Can I massage you with some oil? :) Apologies for being flippant we have got ringworm as well which presumably came in with some new purchases and I know it is no joke but things are so fraught here at present that it is either taking to the bottle or trying not to be too serious. Thanks again!