Pedigree Research - Ratcliffe Negros Manager

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
nz dexter

Post by nz dexter »

I have read that most if not all Dexters decend from this bull. I am trying to trace him in the pedigrees in my cows but have drawn blanks with lots of older cows. If anyone has any information on the following cows it would be much appreciated. They are Grinstead Hawk 15th, Gr Peach Blossom 6th, Shootlands Ben Loyal, Shootland Peony's dam, Pentre Hobyn Cobweb, Doesmead Pinafore, Wendon Dubonnet, Grinstead Jackdaw, Hastingwood Alice, Shadwell Peter. I could go on and on. Are the olds cows not in the online studbooks but in the paper versions (of which I do not have). If anyone can help I will be most appreciative.

NZ Dexter
Ken Hobbs

Post by Ken Hobbs »

Shadwell Peter's full pedigree is listed on the the British Version of Ped- e view. Do you have fax number?
nz dexter

Post by nz dexter »

Sorry no I don't have a fax. It is a shame that the British registry doesn't have their studbook online like some other associations.
Inger

Post by Inger »

I've had the same problem nz dexter. I have found the registration number for some of them though. Grinstead Hawk 15th is F4594, Shootlands Ben Loyal is 2255, Pentre Hobyn Cobweb is M1613, Grinstead Jackdaw is M1570 and Hastingwood Alice is 6804.

Hope that helps a little bit. Maybe Ken could fax a copy to me and I could mail it on to you? I've used the Canadian, U.S. and some of the small European Dexter websites to help me with research.
Inger
NZ
moomin

Post by moomin »

Extended pedigrees are available from the Dexter Cattle Society for a fee of 10GBP to Dexter members. It may cost you more for overseas. You should be able to get extended pedigrees for the animals you are enquiring about.
Research done about 15 years ago traced all the animals in the UK back to Ratcliffe Negro's Manager. The "Ratcliffe" herd was the property of The Right Honourable Lyndsay Everard, MP, and it was founded in 1922 with cows and a bull from the "Fillongley" herd. Ratcliffe Negro's Manager was born in 1930. He was by Ratcliffe Nubian 1020 out of Ratcliffe Black Farola 3505. He was owned by Lady Loder and used in the Grinstead herd.
nz dexter

Post by nz dexter »

I have managed to find an extended 4 generation pedigree of Ratcliffe Negros Manager in an old Australian Dexter magazine. Now just missing all the cows that link mine to him. There are also pictures of him, his gr-great grand sire, his grand mother and one of his sons. This pics were from the 20's and 30's and I like the look of them
JamsHundred

Post by JamsHundred »

<<<Research done about 15 years ago traced all the animals in the UK back to Ratcliffe Negro's Manager. The "Ratcliffe" herd was the property of The Right Honourable Lyndsay Everard, MP, and it was founded in 1922 with cows and a bull from the "Fillongley" herd. Ratcliffe Negro's Manager was born in 1930. He was by Ratcliffe Nubian 1020 out of Ratcliffe Black Farola 3505. He was owned by Lady Loder and used in the Grinstead herd.<<<<<<<

I am curious as to what happened then to the animals between the origination of the first registrations around 1890? when I think the breed was originally formed and the first herd book compiled and organized, and the beginnings of this herd in 1922? Is this to say all animals in-between disappeared from the genetic base?

In the US Dexters were imported that were born in the first decade of last century, and there are still descendents in our herds, whose genetic lines would predate the Ratcliffe herd.
PorcPrunus NL

Re: Pedigree Research - Ratcliffe Negros Manager

Post by PorcPrunus NL »

http://www.legacydextercattleregistry.c ... gno=EM1096

This is a link to the pedigree as updated in Legacy database. Please add more info!
Nico & Annemiek,
the "PorcPrunus" Herd in Holland.
member of Holland Dexter ( www.Dexterkoe.nl )