Bald patches

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Issy

Post by Issy »

Apologies for another beginners question. I noticed a couple of days ago that my steer has developed two bold patches on one of his front legs. One on his hock and another behind his knee. They are not scaly or hot. None of the others are loosing hair and the dogs, etc. are ok. There has been no movement of animals on or off our ground since the dexters arrived last April. The patch behind his knee seems to be getting bigger. My instinct says to watch it and see what happens but I wouldn't want to put my cows at risk by ignoring it. does anyone have any idea what it could be? Any help would be most appreciated.
Isabel Long
Somerset
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

No need whatever to apologise for asking questions - that is one of the main functions of the board, and many users enjoy the exchange of views and info without actually taking active part. There is usually a good number of replies giving different perspectives on most subjects.
The most likely cause of bare spots are ringworm and mange, and sometimes cattle particularly in late winter/spring will loose hair with no obvious cause.
Ringworm is much less likely in outdoor cattle, usually begins with one or two patches mostly about the head neck and limbs but can be anywhere, and although the usual appearance is a grey crusty lesion if you have spotted them very early there will not have been time for the crusts to develop. The spots are much more likely to be more or less circular than mange. Ringworm is caused by a fungal infection and can be treated by several topical preparations, the most efficient being "Mycophyt" or similar which is a POM on prescriotion from your vet. There are various other proprietary sprays which do work but are not nearly so effective. Young cattle are more prone than adults because on farms where it occurs the older beasts have usually already had exposure and are more or less immune. However if it gets into a naive herd the adults can be affected.

Mange tends to cause loss of hair over more irregular areas and may or may not cause itching and rubbing. Treatment with ivomec, dectomax, cydectin or related compound also used for worming is usually very effective. I usually do all mine with Dectomax pouron shortly after they come in for the winter, which reminds me I have not done them this winter yet.

It is always tricky trying to make a diagnosis without seeing the animal. If none of my descriptions fits it may well not be anything to worry about, but don't be afraid to ask more questions on this or any other topic.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Issy

Post by Issy »

Thankyou for the reply. I treated them all with Dectomax in november so hopefully that should still be working with regards to Mange. I have only seen a couple of cases of ringworm and that was a lot of years ago but I will keep an eye out for it starting to spread so i can get some medicine from my vet if neccesary.
Isabel Long
Somerset
Liz D

Post by Liz D »

Hi Issy; I have to agree with Duncan, mange or fungal (ringworm or 'rain rot'). This is just a lay person's observations of my animal but rain rot (I don't know the real name) is usually on the back and makes hairless scabby, grey, circles where the moisture has gotten under the winter coats, and this is not where they are losing hair, ringworm with our animals, is usually around the neck area first, or at least that is where I've noticed it. This sounds more like mange than anything else. On my guys that usually starts around the hock area. I think that the only really serious (killing) mange is scarotopic (probably the wrong word, Duncan could help) but all become uncomfortable and they can even get it from rodents in the area, if it is a mange year. I am not sure about the wormer that you used, but even Ivomec, here, only has a 14 - 21 day window for actively killing stuff. A dose of Ivomec or what ever shouldn't hurt, but I would ask my vet first if I was unsure. Liz
Issy

Post by Issy »

Thanks for the reply Liz,

I know it's not Rain scald (I used to have a horse that was prone to that) i am still checking it twice a day and if it develops any further I will call the vet.
Isabel Long
Somerset