Clicking ankle

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Sylvia

Post by Sylvia »

I'm sure this was covered on the old board but as it wasn't relevant then I didn't pay enough attention. Sorry about repeating subject but one of my dear little cows has in the last 2 days started clicking on one back ankle as she walks and she doesn't look very comfortable about it. Is this an urgent vet matter, is there anything else I can do, will it right itself. Help please!
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

Hello Sylvia,
how I wish I could remember exactly what I said the last time this came up! Clicking fetlocks causes a great deal of headscratching and controversy when is comes up. In the years I have been inspecting Dexters it has certainly been one of the most difficult problems to be sure it is given the right degree of importance. It is basically an instability of the fetlock joint and it is very variable both in its severity and its occurrence - ie sometimes a beast may do it and sometimes not. I think exercise and surfaces have a lot to do with the variation - has your cow recently changed - eg been put out after a winter inside? If this is a new feature for her it may well disappear just as it has appeared. I am sure mild cases do not really cause any long term damage to the cow but with severe cases there is obviously fear that damage to the joint will be permanent and result in arthritis. But initially I would not be too alarmed - give her some time and it may improve.
The condition is not confined to dexters but is seen much more frequently in them, particularly short-legs, than other breeds as far as I see.
Lets hear some more opinions from breeders, judges or inspectors - certainly a subject with lots of room for discussion!!
Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Sylvia

Post by Sylvia »

Thanks for the quick reply Duncan. She has been out all winter, nothing has changed in the last few days. We got them in a couple of weeks ago to separate last year's calves from the rest and of course she is now in a bigger herd (22 rather than the 12 I had before I bought in more recently). The ground is poached round water troughs and feeders far more than previously because of the extra numbers. I've been feeding silage all winter.

In fact I'm already planning to get them in next winter for a spell. Our ground is pretty well drained for the most part. It was alright when we were very lightly stocked but the last few weeks have been quite an education.
Sylvia

Post by Sylvia »

I'm so pleased to report that this did in fact clear up quite quickly and she has been walking fine for sometime with absolutely no treatment from me. Except liberal amounts of sympathy :)