Prem calf

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Jim Taylor

Post by Jim Taylor »

We have a calf born yesterday (10 days early) that cannot get the teat in its mouth. We have been helping it by turning the teat sideways and from there she seems ok until mum moves then we have to help again. I'm sure she will eventually manage but does anyone have any thoughts please.
The Biggin Herd
Kent
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

It sounds as though you are on the right track as long as it is getting enough quantity of milk, and hopefully had enough colostrum within 6 hours of birth. Stomach tubes especially those with a bag are handy if you know how to use them safely but if the calf is taking it on its own that is better.
It may take some time for it to gain strength, just be patient.

10 days is the limit beyond which the abortion/early calving has to be reported and checked for brucellosis, and you should speak to your vet if you have not already done so. There has been brucellosis in UK recently so DEFRA are keen to test anything doubtful at the moment. The tests for brucellosis are a legal requirement and paid for by DEFRA but you should also discuss tests for other things such as BVD. IBR, leptospirosis, neospora to name but a few. If there is any chance of it being an infection of any sort you should have cow and calf in isolation till test results are through. I know this sounds hassle and depressing but even though most of us Dexter owners only have a few it is important to watch out for diseases which can be prevented or controlled. Having said that many abortion investigations do not reach a definite conclusion but it is always worth trying.
I hope both mum and calf are doing well.
Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Jim Taylor

Post by Jim Taylor »

The calf is managing very well now and is like a spring lamb! The vet was a bit apathetic and said that if I report it to defra they probably won't do anything, so I didn't bother. I'm fairly sure there is nothing further wrong, but I'll will bear in mind the other things you mentioned.
Thanks very much for your timely advice.
The Biggin Herd
Kent