My new herd - Very small herd of very small cows!

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Woodmagic

Post by Woodmagic »

Thank you for all those compliments everybody, it is lovely to see ‘Ginger’ looking so utterly blissful, and we are having a belated but welcome bonus in the weather at present. It is a pity that I have had no requests for bull calves this year, so shall shortly be steering the lot, I am not geared to carry them on, and only retain any that have been spoken for, like many I have had a very unfair ratio this year, and I think it is the first year I have not one purchaser for a bull, probably because of the crippling costs of registration.
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Hi Beryl,

What a shame to have to steer the lot!

I expect the Foot and Mouth preventing people visiting made a difference to orders for bulls for you and for other breeders alike.

If anyone wants to look at Beryls bull calves without even going out of the house!!! There are some pics of them that I took back in the Summer on the Woodmagic Site, which you can get to through the thread "Woodmagic Dexters" but the pics were taken right at the beginning of July when they were quite immature.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

Well done Stephanie, you have planned this for ages so im sure you are pretty pleased. Your excitement is infectious ( is that how you spell it), lovelly pics, ideal grazing.....let them go forth and multiply.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
welshdexterboy

Post by welshdexterboy »

Hi Saffy--- excuse me for being nosy and you can lie if you want but is that hill behind the four cows the Skirrid in Monmouthshire. The reason i ask is i used to live there-- well it is where i was born and brought up. If i am wrong i am going to look a plonker:(
Rob H
Snipesbay 32350
Pembs
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Hello welshdexterboy,

You are quite correct about the location.

That is the Skirrid, also know as the Holy Mountain, in the background.

My farm is at Llanfapley, near Abergavenny, in Monmouthshire.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
happy hollidays

Post by happy hollidays »

Your herd looks lovely, what nice weather they have to start their new home too. Heres to many a happy day being with a dexter, nothing can beat it!
Minnie

Post by Minnie »

Hi Stephanie,

They are gorgeous, and that pasture!

Mine would be so jealous if they saw that :;):

They look so happy and contented, thank you for sharing.

Regards

Vicki
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

One can look quite "the man about town".

Next thing you know, you make a little trip to the milk bar and people giggle and say there is something on your nose?!

What all that about?

Thought he might cheer you all up a bit on a cold day!!!

Stephanie :D
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
welshdexterboy

Post by welshdexterboy »

Fine bull calf Saffy. It is always good to see this as at least you know he is getting fed and he looks like he calls there regularly even if he does look stupid after. personally I don't think he carestoo much.:D :D
Rob H
Snipesbay 32350
Pembs
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

:p Fine calf, i'm jealous. :D :D
Richard.
welshdexterboy

Post by welshdexterboy »

No need for jealousy Tricky one day you will fed the pride of surrogate Fatherhood. :D When is your first calves due?
Rob H
Snipesbay 32350
Pembs
richmonds dun dexters

Post by richmonds dun dexters »

Nice photos like your dun cow we decided to try to breed duns hopefully a few dun calves next spring
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Thankyou richmonds dun dexters, for the compliment about the dun cow, she is Woodmagic Palmchat, Mum to the black bull calf.

Since we have brought them home I have been able to spend some time getting to know them and now I can go up to the older two in the field and give them a scratch, which I think is pretty wonderful. Palmchat doesn't mind as long as I don't get too near her head, I think she believes I am trying to catch her on the quiet and am suddenly going to leap on her and grab her by the nose or something!

I would like to think we could breed a few dun coloured followers here one day but for now we are just enjoying the lovely stock we have bought from Beryl.

Stephanie Powell
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

No need for jealousy Tricky one day you will fed the pride of surrogate Fatherhood. When is your first calves due?

1st Dexter calf Due end of April, had plenty of Angus Calves born in the past, these Dexters certainly are characters though. :D :D
Richard.
welshdexterboy

Post by welshdexterboy »

Nice time of year or calving Tricky. Why did you change from AA to Dexters or do you still keep them as well? What do you intend doing with your offspring? I know I am a nosy bugger but it is more curiosity than anything else. i live a very simple life :( Dont get out much:( :(
Rob H
Snipesbay 32350
Pembs