Steer Prices - How much for live steers

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Nikola Thompson

Post by Nikola Thompson »

I wonder if anyone can help please. I have decided to sell my steers after finding that is not viable to go through the slaughter and sale for meat. I still love my cows and enjoy breeding them and will keep a steer a year for our freezer.

I am not sure how to price. I have seen other ads saying from £220 - £250 for yearlings. What should be charge for 18mths, 24mths and nearly 30 mths?

Any advice gratefully received.

Nikola
bjreroberts

Post by bjreroberts »

I don't think I have ever paid over £200 for a steer.

The last 3 I bought were:
- £200 18 mths non-short
- £180 12 mths non-short
- £175 9 mths short

All 3 were purchased together and I paid the asking price
Ben Roberts
Trehawben Herd
Bromsgrove
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Nikola

Firstly, I think to make it viable you need to be selling, if in boxes, at £8.50/kilo minimum. £9.50 is better and is not unusual for Dexter or any other breed. Personally I think prices now ought to go up considerably and we are on the verge of doing just that, probably to something around £10-11.

I believe steers last year were selling for between £1.00 and £1.20 per kilo liveweight but beef prices have gone up considerably since then, so I would check the levels at the moment with your market or farming papers.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1212426312
Clive
Nikola Thompson

Post by Nikola Thompson »

Thanks for that Clive, but I don't have anything to weigh the steers with so I wouldn't know much they weigh hence wanting a rough price per animal.

We have too few steers to be able to sell effectively and at the moment it is a small part of what we do, so the time to try and sell is simply not effective. Shame really.

Nikola
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

Prices are shifting greatly at the moment.

If anyone is interested in selling steers we are on the lookout. we are in southwest scotland so you have to be willing to bring them up or be in sensible range for me to collect.

ideally i am looking for under 30month finished steers or heifers

email me if you can help

dom@domsmith.wanadoo.co.uk
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

Nikola, you could always buy a weighband.Simple to use and gives you a better idea of weight than just guessing.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Average price for steers Shrewsbury Market, currently running at around 149p / kilo. Heifers 157p.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1212480167
Clive