Winter feed

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Bridgehouse

Post by Bridgehouse »

My cows are still out in the feed and having some haylage. I was wondering whether people generally feed ad lib or in moderation. I am just thinking about a balance of keeping them content but not getting overweight. I have a couple of generally noisy cows and it would make you think they are always hungry.

In autumn they were very keen on some barley straw but now they tend to hold out for the haylage.

I have 7 cows, 3 yearlings and 6 calves from this year.

Mark
Bridgehouse

Post by Bridgehouse »

first line should read 'still in the field'
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

It depends on the animals. Some of mine can live on little and get fat if over-fed, some need feeding or they'll lose condition quite quickly. And it depends on your grazing as well. Here at the moment I am putting haylage out for sheep that are in poor fields, but not ad lib, and the sheep in better fields are doing very well just grazing. I've also got dexter inside that need forage and still got some out on good grazing that definitely don't need anything.

If they look like they need something (i.e. really want some forage, not wait until you can see them losing condition) then they probably need it.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1227858287
Clive
welshdexterboy

Post by welshdexterboy »

Hi Mark, I assume the cows are still feeding the calves if so it depends on the age of the calves as to how much they will draw on the reserves of their mam. Also how much grazing is in the field? The cow shouldn't put on too much weight whilst she is feeding her calf and the yearlings will need something if they are to grow a frame to put meat on.

Sorry if this is all a bit vague but there are so many variables such as;your experience do you have a local person to give advice to help in the beginning, field aspect, cover/shelter and so on and so on. Don't be afraid to come back though if you want :D
Rob H
Snipesbay 32350
Pembs
Bridgehouse

Post by Bridgehouse »

There is minimal grazing in the field now. In the past I was used to a holstein friesian dairy herd where we fed them ad lib silage due to the demands on them. A suckkler herd is something new for me.

I am feeding them a couple of times a day at the moment and enjoying the opportunity to get to know a couple of the more shy ones amongst them.

Mark
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

There is nothing like getting contact with your catle twice aday. i find it most satisfying to feed them and leave them content. I always feel they relax you, i wonder if they release something as they chew!! i can be stressed and in a terrible mood, but then i feed the cattle and i feel its all better!!

Unfortunately this year though we are trying adlib feeding. we feed when the bale is used. we have 2 outside groups, each made up of 28 cows, calves and stirks. they each use a bale every 1.5-2 days. the grazing is poor and the cows have their calves still.
we are trying to reduce fixed costs.
have you all read your eblex or qms business surveys? 220 a head loss on an average suckler herd. depressing

dom
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

A stirk? Just looked it up...

"Noun - stirk - yearling heifer or bullock"

Dom - I read the EBLEX info with interest. I noticed that with dexters, they don't need the number one cost that drove the main beef breeds into a loss....grain and hard feed. I haven't done any figures yet, but I'm going to. And they will look very different to those into the EBLEX booklet. I hardly spend anything on my cattle except making haylage.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1227907634
Clive
carole

Post by carole »

Good point Clive

We like you only provide big bale haylage and small bale hay for our herd. The main point being that they should be economical with that ration. Currently using 1 big bale every 3 days on our group which is now loose housed in the barn, there are 25 of them, again cows and calfs. The remainder still out, but coming back in tomorrow.

I would like to think that feeding this way will result in a healthy happy herd and not running out of feed before May.

I do agree with you all, that the daily contact in feeding the herd does help in so many ways. Lets you make judgements about your herd, who is doing well and so on.

Carole
Callington, Cornwall
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

We sometimes add an e or y to stirk or calf for that matter, and you hear old farmers talking about stirkies or calvies!

concentrates are the killer no doubt, thats why we are moving to dexters, grass finished beef is the future.