Farm assured?

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
mike skelton

Post by mike skelton »

I am debating at the moment whether it would be prudent to go farm assured but being a smallholder find the financial returns difficult to justify.

As dexter breeders seem to be a diverse bunch of educated farmers, smallholders and animal lovers can anyone give guidance on if they have registered as farm assured, and the pro's & cons of doing so.

regards
mike
Mike Skelton
Merrimaker Dexters
Carmarthen
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

We've done two and they are both about £200 a year. Maybe there's one for smallholders that's cheaper, but unless there is I wouldn't bother. If you're taking animals to market for example, you give your scheme details and that will make more buyers available to you. But we took lambs to market for ages and forgot to give our details and still got excellent prices.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1242400802
Clive
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

unless you sell large numbers of cattle live through markets then there is no point in being assured.

turn out decent saleable stock and it will get the same price as assured stock anyway.

if its for selling meat you dont need to be assured, your customers can come to your farm and see the place they dont need to be assured by someone else.

dom
davidw

Post by davidw »

I tend to agree with Dom. If you are doing the job properly, there is no need to pay someone to tick boxes.
My friend resigned as an inspector for just that reason. According to him it was just a job of flying from farm to farm - at least 7 in a day to make a living wage - ticking boxes and then rushing off. He advised on improvements needed but found no-one ever bothered, they just do the minimum to get hold of the assurance certificate.
David Williams
Gaveston Herd
Warwick
AlisonKirk

Post by AlisonKirk »

We're not farm assured at all. None of our customers, either retail or private are bothered. They're full aware of our management system and we are more than happy to show them round our animals if they ask. I sometimes get asked if we're organic, which I explain we're not and they still have the beef and come back for more.

Alison Kirk
Boram Dexters
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Mike - If you aren't organic but you follow their principals or as best you can, and are willing for anyone to come and see your farm at any time to see for themselves, which you have to pledge to do, then there is an "accreditation" body that is free....but can I remember the name? No I can't. The harder I think the more it doesn't happen!

No, hang on, it's just arrived, its' "The Wholesome Food Association " ....I think!
Clive
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Got that wrong as well, just checked, it's not free but it's very affordable.
Clive