Caesar City

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

I keep forgetting to mention we are in the middle of a caesarian hot spot.

i had heard on the grape vine that certain farms were struggling to calve. and 20 caesars have been mentioned.

i had a phone call from the farm manager next door they have 2 farms and 3500acre 400 sucklers they have reached over 40. one night teams of vets were on site with multiple caesars.
the vet was in cutting our bulls the other day and she apologised for being late another ceasar at tower farm had delayed her. she also added they were not the record breakers there was another farm locally that had more!!

has anyone else heard of such high number. i imagine profits wont be good on the affected farms

dom

ps how the hell do you spell Caesarian? :p
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

We have seen increases in the number of cattle caesareans on some farms in recent years. Due to a combination of nutrition probably in early/mid pregnancy rather than late, and use of bulls chosen to give great big beefy calves which might have been ok in most years but those years that grass is too good in early/mid pregnancy the extra size is too much. There has also been a trend to keep BBX heifers, which I keep telling them are really very small framed, and of course the inevitable results. Charolais bulls are the main problem sires.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute