Micro climate - Weather

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Martin

Post by Martin »

I know that farmers in general have a reputation for moaning about the weather and I do try to avoid being drawn into conversations about it as I do not wish to be branded a moaner. However, in the 'sunny south east' (quite true this year) we are desperate for some sustained wet weather. I realise that in some parts of the country you would be thankfull of a couple of days without rain and your problems are different to mine. We have had no rain to speak of for a couple of months, what we have had has been to little to make any difference. It seems that rain comming from the west (most of what we get in the UK) travels north east away from us and all we get is the tail end of any rain bearing clouds.
I was at a show at the weekend and spoke to a few people there and we are all in the same boat. Grass is now brown and brittle and cows are on full winter rations. One large farmer that I know is bringing some of his cattle into yards, these are steers that would normally finish off of grass this autumn and he has to get them away to allow room for winter housing of his cows.
Cows are begining to dry up too early and I am having to creap feed calves as well. Starting on my winter fodder so soon means I am in two minds about buying in extra, I am constantly counting what I have and trying to calculate what I may need.
I realise that this post is of no comfort to those that need a bit of sunshine, it just goes to prove how diverse our weather is even though we are a small country.
Martin.
Maidstone
Kent
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

Dear Martin,

please send a stamped addressed envelope and I will send as much rain as I can. On Bute we have had about 14inches in the last 3 weeks. Some of this is surplus so I am happy to send you what I can.

I usually buy in hay from Stirlingshire which is generally a lot drier, but when I checked a week ago mine was not even cut yet, and they have had a lot of rain since.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Martin

Post by Martin »

Duncan, if it was possible to take you up on your offer I would certainly take advantage of it. We have an inch of rain forcast for tonight which I will surely be gratefull for.
Martin.
Maidstone
Kent
Pennielea

Post by Pennielea »

A friend of mine housed his dairy herd 3 weeks ago as the fields were no longer passable. They will remain in for the winter but the second cut of silage is not yet taken! Like Duncan I would gladly swop some of our rain for your drought.
Ian
Joan and Ian Simpson
Pennielea Farm
Glenavy
Co Antrim
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

Our bull reinforcement arrived on sunday (he is a burnside, Duncan) i think he must have wondered what he had landed in, as i was literally floating behind on the quad. there was water running over the whole surface of the field. if itried to accelerate the wheels span and water sprayed into the air. its a good job he is quiet and could see the girls.

my dog developed webbed feet last year which i believe will be a sort after characteristic in the future :p

second cut silage is just a dream around here.

dominic
clacko

Post by clacko »

norfolk is just so dry on this light soil/sand, grass burnt off a few weeks ago, all around are short of grass forage, barley straw in general about 50% down. april dun us in, hardly a drop of rain fell, most crops shot seed heads and that was that, i looked promising in late july with some good showers for a day or two and the cut grasses really did push away, then by the 3rd week in august it all wilted and burnt of, glad i have 15 acres of marsh or i would be stuffed, just hope we have some rain to get a bit of growth before the temps start dropping to much. i had 50 odd acres of rye grass to winter out on but the only green that is in those fields has a nice yellow beacon on top, perfect conditions for ragwart ???
paul , victoria & laura claxton
snarehill dexters
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

We've made all our silage and hay and we've now got so much grass regrowth it's like May here. I've still got 120 dexter out, 500 sheep and we're only using half the farm for grazing. I'm more worried about calvers getting too much. Very varied isn't it.
Clive