short on non short or non short on short ?

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
tooloos

Post by tooloos »

Having short and non short cows i was wondering if there was more chance of producing short legged offspring by having a non short bull on short leg cow or a short leg bull on non short cow ? Is there any records to show the results ?
Colin

Post by Colin »

There won't be any difference. A short is produced by having a chondro gene from one parent and a normal gene from the other. The gene is not sex-linked.

Colin
Colin Williams
Cwmdrysien Herd
New Forest
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

Unless genetic traits are carried on the x or y chromosomes, I don't think there should be any linkage to the sex of the parent - so my answer would be "No".

If you have both short and non short cows, and only intend to have one bull, then he really has to be non short to avoid bulldogs. My own approach to the problem after a bulldog "storm" was to try to produce shorter non-shorts and my home bred cows, all over 4yrs, range from 39 to 40.5 inches at rump.

See Burnside Herd Virtual Visit

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

You'll get the same tooloos. Short-NS, or NS-Short, it's just 50/50 every time either way around.

Even if you bred Short-Short (which I really would not and I know is not what you asked) you will still get no more shorts either, you will just get 50% Short, 25% NS, and 25% dead bulldogs (on average).

Breeding Short to Short has no advantage, only downside.
Clive