Ringworm - Feed additive?

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

On a cattle farmers forum, this subject came up recently and the most common advice from the farmers was to apply "used engine oil". I'm not recommending it, just repeating what was said!
Clive
Penny

Post by Penny »

This subject of Ringworm came up a few years ago, and used engine oil mentioned then, and I'm fairly sure it was not recommended as it is bad for the animal or others with it if licked off ( possibly toxic?) . The farmer at "The F Word" farm used vegetable oil on his stock (yes, my dexters were exposed to all sorts of biosecurity risks, ringworm and warts being some of them). I suspect any oil will make the skin appear better, reducing the appearance and possibly stopping them itching as much to spread it. But it is always difficult to evaluate the real benefit of any treatment, as ringworm does clear up by itself and some animals quicker than others depending on their health and condition amongst other things. Like the idea of Thyme oil, just for the smell!
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

I am an aromatherapist and I'm not sure that Thyme is particularly anti fungal but there are several variants of Thyme oil as there are all oils - and it would be important to get the correct one - whichever that is, also many if not all would be a skin irritant on the skin of your animal if used neat. All essential oils should be diluted in an organic oil, or oil based cream before use - usually for people about 3 to 5 drops to a teaspoonful, oil does not dilute in water.

Large animals - if the use is appropriate can have larger quantities but the dilution rate is the same.

I would suggest - for humans at least - that either Myrrh and Lavender or Myrrh and Tea Tree would be a good bet

Stephanie

Edited By Saffy on 1265323836
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Also - and what I should have explained, the reason for dilution is that essential oils are very strong and can cause severe blistering, and/or sensitization if used neat - depending on which oil is used how much and how often and the skin type it is used on. There are a only very few which are safe to use without dilution in a base oil.

I have seen several clients that have sensitized themselves by pouring oils into the bath straight from the bottle and have seen a hand badly blistered by repeated use of neat Lavender oil. Also I have heard of a similar thing with a pet dog.

Kenilworth Press - offer books on Aromatherapy for horses but I have found nothing for cattle.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
strawberriesclint

Post by strawberriesclint »

Hi Saffy

I get the thyme oil from our vet who mixes it as it is required but it works brilliantly.

cyndy
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

That is interesting Cyndy. I have learnt something about essential oils I didn't know! More importantly I shall find out if I can use it on my cattle - thanks.

Do you know what type of Thyme it is?

Stephanie

Edited By Saffy on 1265396529
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
strawberriesclint

Post by strawberriesclint »

Hi Saffy

All i know is on the label it says 'medium herbal remedy' and just 'Thyme oil for ringworm, apply directly to lesions' sorry i cant be of more help, you could always try ringing the vets i use, the vet that makes up the solution is called Rachel 01934712229. Don't know if they would tell you any more or perhaps she might be able to send some to you.

cyndy
Minnie

Post by Minnie »

With the exception of this year I use an oil for buffalo fly on our cattle that has tea tree and lavender among the essential oils that was very good, and they smelt good!

It's an Australian made product so imagine it's not available elsewhere and not sure how it would be on ringworm.

But be aware if you have cats essential oils and cats are a big problem, cats can end up with kidney failure from Tea Tree oil and others. I've cold diffused a blend with tea tree and found out even the most smallest amount isn't good for cats.

I found out about tea tree and cats (dogs are okay) the hard way after my very loved old cat died, following treatment with tea tree for an abscess.

Vicki