AIing your own bull - Info please

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

We are giving some thought to taking some semen from our bull.

Can someone who has taken there bull through the AI process tell us what is involved?

Also we are looking for a few Woodmagic semen straws, if anyone has any they would like to sell, my contact details are in the wanted section.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

This is a picture of the bull we are thinking of taking semen from at a few days old with his mother Woodmagic Palmchat - the dun cow.

The images below are much more recent!

His name is Woodmagic Hedgehog 4th, I am hoping to take semen from him which is why I wondered if anyone here knew much about the process and where he would have to go for isolation and how long for?

How much does it usually cost?

How many straws do they usually take?

What else has to be done?

Also I would like to try keep the Woodmagic breeding going as much as I possibly can which is why I am trying to find some Woodmagic semen and am happy to pay a good price even for just one or two straws at a time. With that in mind I now have members of as many Woodmagic families as I am able to keep.

Stephanie

Edited By Saffy on 1269615208
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
wagra dexters

Post by wagra dexters »

Stephanie, we had Woodmagic Hedgehog 3rd collected at Dartington, not sure if that station is still going. Too far from you anyway.
UK Sire Services gives a good idea of what's involved and at what cost. They have a Procedure page and a Charges page, and also do on-farm collection.
Margaret.
Graham Beever & Margaret Weir
http://www.wagra-dexter.com.au/
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Thanks Margaret,

I shall have a look.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
acrossthesea

Post by acrossthesea »

Hi Stephnie,
looks to be a nice bull,good top line. Be carefull if you have on farm collection it limits you to who can purchase the straws. I think that you cannot export.
Howard Hilton (N.Ireland)
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Hello Howard,

Thanks for the information, I shall remember that and find out - I take it on farm collection is the cheaper option though!

Stephanie

Edited By Saffy on 1269797212
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
acrossthesea

Post by acrossthesea »

Hi Stephanie,
yes.

Howard.
Louisa Gidney

Post by Louisa Gidney »

Jo Kemp wrote an article in the Bulletin a while ago about putting her bull Breoch Sultan (I think) on AI. Since Jo is the current Bulletin editor, it might be worth asking her to put an updated article in the Bulletin on the procedures for collecting semen for AI.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham
Denise

Post by Denise »

Hi Saffy, now I'm back home, would like to thank all those lovely UK Dexter folk who welcomed me to their farms, houses and lives during my recent visit.

If semen is only for use in the UK and probably EU zone, it is fairly simple I believe.

If your'e going to have semen available for export, he will have to be collected at an AI Centre, and (especially for Australia) and minimum requirements have to be
- Parent Verified
- Tested for his Chondroplasia status
- Tested for his PHA (Pulmonary Hyperplasia - "waterbaby") status
- and while he is being collected, measured and assessed for structure, soundness, etc etc.

Umm I believe Anna Wollard has an interest in an AI centre in Devon.

Hope the snow has gone (gosh it was interesting - we just don't have snow where I come from).

Regards all...... and Happy Easter
Denise of DHA Dexters, Downunder
Anna

Post by Anna »

Hi Saffy,
I have a document stating the requriements for semen imported from UK to Sweden. If you are interested in checking it out, pm you email adress.

I understand that collecting for export is a big thing to go thru and maybe that is not what you are planning. But IF semen from that handsome little bull of yours would be made available for us, I would be happier than you can imagine. And I would be willing to pay good money for it (but most of it would likely end up in the pockets of the import/export organistions).

Regards, Anna
Anna Bergstrom
Sweden