Virtual Stockjudging - Duffryn Herd

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Issy

Post by Issy »

Di and Roger, all your cows look lovely. Not much good at judging them I am afraid but they all look nice to me.
Our steer turned out to be dead weight of 177.4kg and grade O4L.
Just have to wait for the beef now :D .
Isabel Long
Somerset
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Here's a link to a website that explains it Di Beef Classification. I've only just started to take notice of it, but basically it grades animals with the regards to the shape of the carcass, i.e. a skinny animal with a lack of muscle (beef) right up to a muscular type (often bulls I would think), and then also grades the fat cover as well.

"Conformation is a visual assessment of the overall shape of the carcase and how well it is fleshed throughout. It is split into five main classes: E, U, R, O and P. Conformation class E describes carcases of outstanding shape, but these only represent a small proportion of the national kill. Class P describes poorly muscled carcases of inferior shape and again only a small proportion of the national kill falls into this class.

The fat class is determined by a visual appraisal of external fat development. There are five main classes ranging from 1 (very lean) to 5 (very fat)."

So with O+4L or O+3 for example, which would be quite common for a dexter, that's shape/muscling O+ (which is on the good side of ordinary), and the 4L refers to the external fat covering. "O" grade is split into O- (poor side of O) and O+ (good side of O).

As far as I am aware, there is no grading for marbling unlike America (tell me if I'm wrong), which is why US general beef is many people think better than ours. I have heard that this is to change in the UK, which'll be good for Dexters.

The abattoirs do our grading, sometimes it's official and that will affect the price quite a lot. Others will just give you an off the record opinion.

I just culled a cow and she came in at O+5L!!!! Culled her because I just couldn't keep the weight off her and couldn't get her in calf. She's been here 5 years and all she's had is one set of twins!

Edited By Broomcroft on 1276076629
Clive
jem

Post by jem »

What does the "L" at the end of the grading mean?
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

"Fatness - five main classes (1 to 5) according to fat cover. Classes 4 and 5 are divided into low (L) and high (H)." Fat level 1 being almost no fat, through to 5, being very fat.

We aim for O+4L or H. The fat lumps either side of the tail would be very visible but not too big. To me, that seems to produce excellent beef. We've just done one at O+3L because I couldn't wait any longer, and it is nice beef but not special. Nice if you like it leaner though.

Some photos of cattle for grading opinions might be interesting?

Edited By Broomcroft on 1276154258
Clive
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

There is a very good little booklet from EBLEX called 'Understanding Cattle and Carcases for Better Returns'.
It describes each of the grades and shows photo's of a typical cow, a hanging side and a joint for each of them so that you can see what each of the grades relates to either on the hoof, side or joint.
I have a copy in pdf. If anyone would like one please let me know and I will email it to you.
Tim
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Yes please Tim. Went to a Better Return talk and farm walk yesterday, really good, this one was on cattle nutrition and grass. The farm had a herd of 240 Stabiliser sucklers which were very impressive. Not big and just normal cows that look after themselves and calved by themselves usually, mostly small calves. Some of them looked almost exactly the same as some of our red dexters but about 50% bigger. Very nice to see the very latest in modern farming coming back into being more sustainable and easy-care.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1276242180
Clive
wagra dexters

Post by wagra dexters »

Hello all. How do I get the photos small enough to fit into the space? I tried re-sizing but when I preview they are still too big?
Margaret
Graham Beever & Margaret Weir
http://www.wagra-dexter.com.au/
debra wiltshire

Post by debra wiltshire »

When you resize the photo, do you save it? Hit save and it will come up with a header which you accept. Hope that helps
Debra Wiltshire
Cosmos Dexters,
Lincs/Leics border
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

I use Photobucket to put the pics on here and edit the images in either Photoshop or Picasa. Picasa is a free download and when you export them from there - for instance to your desktop, which is a good half way house before emailing, sending to Photobucket etc - you are given the opportunity to use the original size or resize. I resize to 600 pixels for posting on here, it is a similar process on Photoshop.

Could be with what you are using Margaret that having shrunk your image - you then need to save the new sized image before sending.

Stephanie

Edited By Saffy on 1276637589
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
wagra dexters

Post by wagra dexters »

Thanks for the advice.
Margaret.
wagra dexters

Post by wagra dexters »

Testing. Testing.
If this works, this is Wagra Clansman, 33 months.
wagra dexters

Post by wagra dexters »

and so is this.

He is by the Danish bull, Kingshill Gullasch, from a Wm Hedgehog 3rd cow.

Margaret
Anna

Post by Anna »

What a guy!

Who is Kingshill Gullasch? Is he an AI bull? From earlier days or contemporary?
Anna Bergstrom
Sweden
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

That really is a cracking bull Margaret. Great depth of body and width. Have you got a rear end shot anywhere and is he polled?

Edited By Broomcroft on 1276706635
Clive
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

He is lovely, excellent conformation all round and really good pics as well, can we see more of your herd please?

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/