"The Private life of cows" - TV show tonight, Wednesday 7th July

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
LISA

Post by LISA »

This is on tonight BBC2 8pm. I have seen a couple of clips from it and it looks very good. I imagine it will also be on BBC iplayer later on.
LISA

Post by LISA »

wasn't that a lovely programme, hope you enjoyed it too. Must go now the door bell is ringing!!!
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Yes I did enjoy it - thanks you for pointing it out Lisa!

It reminded me of an old cow we had in the milking herd years ago. She was particualrly ancient so my Dad decreed that she should have a couple of slices of hay in the winter after milking to suppliment her silage. So when I let a batch of 6 milked cows out, I would open a large sliding door and she would peel off from the others and up the step and I would then shut the door behind her. One day I forgot to open it for her and just as I thought I would have to go out to the yard and part her from about 100 cows to fetch her in for her hay she paused in front of the door, placed her nose firmly on the handle and gave it a good hard flick, the door opened alright and flew right off the runner! :D She wandered in and happily ate her hay as I busied myself huffing and puffing trying to get the flippin great door back on its runner, I got the idea then that they do know more than we sometimes give them credit for.

Back to the programme - Chris and I thought it was done quite well and was a good way to present beef farming. Pity they weren't Dexters - of course they would also have been more intelligent! :;):

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
bjreroberts

Post by bjreroberts »

I have not seen it yet (still not on iPlayer as I type). I presume this must be inspired by the book "The Secret Life of Cows" by Rosamund Young?

I was only thinking of this book this morning when I went to check the cattle to be unusally greeted at the gate by one of my heiffer's mother who told me in no uncertain terms something was happening, as I walked over the brow of the hill she had just given birth.
Ben Roberts
Trehawben Herd
Bromsgrove
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

That is interesting Ben what a clever cow.

I find they stay in family groups - or rather revert to them after weaning is over, lovely isn't it. I take it the calf and Mum are healthy?

I once took Beryl Rutherford to task over apparent twins suckling - I had photographic proof - and she insisted she had never had twins born at Bunksland. After much detective work it transpired that Mum was suckling her own calf and her grandchild. Beryl didn't think she had taken it on but would probably be happy to suckle it occasionally along with her own calf, Beryl said she had seen it happen before.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
bjreroberts

Post by bjreroberts »

Both are well thanks, although mother is still suffering from fly bites near her eyes.

I will try the equine fly mask again in a few days after they have settled in.

Photo taken yesterday morning and both were fine last night.

Amazing technology that I can post this whilst on a train to Glasgow going through the Lakes.

Edited By bjreroberts on 1278578614
Ben Roberts
Trehawben Herd
Bromsgrove
evolen

Post by evolen »

Hi,
I live in Switzerland. The BBC iPlayer does not work in for our area. May somebody out in the world record "The Private life of cows" for non-british-cow- friends? Many Many Many Thank!!!!!

Adrian