Calf - mysterious illness

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
davidw

Post by davidw »

I have a 3 month old heifer calf that has suddenly developed a very stiff gait. She has been very active since birth and I just moved the cattle to a new field. She joined everyone else in a mad gallop around the field. Within a day, she started walking with a very hunched back and stiff hind legs. She only seems to be able to walk a short distance before having to lie down. The puzzling thing is that she seems bright, her head is up, she is suckling and all systems seem to be working.
The vet says he thinks she has suffered some type of injury - possibly by being knocked about by one of the other cattle, but we cannot find anything. Has anyone experienced anything similar?
David Williams
Gaveston Herd
Warwick
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

I've had two shorties that couldn't walk properly until they were older, 3-5 months. One walked as though the soles of his feet were hot, and the other had trouble straightening his legs and walked a bit like a spider. Other than, not had anything I can remember.
Clive
ann lea

Post by ann lea »

Unfortunately we experienced something similar a few years ago, a three month old heifer calf suddenly started walking stiffly, with a scissor like gait, the vet could not find a cause or obvious site of injury, she did not recover and I am sorry to say I had to have her slaughtered.

Ann lea
Wheeley Moor Dexters
marion

Post by marion »

What about white muscle disease (selenium deficiency)? Easy to remedy if caught in time to give shot(s)..marion
Marion Cdn.
ann

Post by ann »

I hope your calf is o.k. by now, and wondered if you had a bull running with your herd, and is so has he in the excitement jumped on her as your description of her gait sound very like that of a heifer calf which has been caught by the bull, but she seems too young to be cycling, but it is a suggestion.

:( :(
davidw

Post by davidw »

Our vet now says that he thinks its a sprain that should heal in 10 to 14 days. She does appear to be slightly improved today. She was in the same field as the bull, but this happened when she was in a separate field.
David Williams
Gaveston Herd
Warwick