Dexter Beef - TV plug

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

That is correct Ben, we just deliver. Although if it's via the TBMM scheme, there is a deduction for their commission of 5% from memory, but we don't do much TBMM. There are some other tiny costs that are deducted, can't remember what they are. A tiny fee for EBLEX is one I think. But then again, one butcher just simply pays us the going rate and doesn't show any deductions. I think they make it up as they go along.

On the EBLEX chart Colin just posted, we aim for O+4. Doubt if we get many R's, maybe had one last year who came in at 250kg which is because his dam, although pure pedigree dexter, has definitely got loads of Angus in her.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1291290294
Clive
Colin

Post by Colin »

Had some complaints from a butcher over a 27 month old O+3 steer saying it was too fat. He showed me the brisket and some of the loin which did have a lot of fat, which he said he'd be throwing away. But I was surprised by this feedback given the rating. He said the rating must be wrong. He would of course have shown me the worst and not the best. He's only had one dexter off me before and that was an R4L and he didn't complain about the fat for that one (just the size).

So I wonder if he's comparing it to other leaner breeds. The brisket did seem to have more fat than meat. Is this normal for a dexter ?

I sold another one to another butcher and he also commented about the amount of fat in the brisket. But he's had fantastic feedback from his customers and is asking me for another one. So he's very happy.

Regards,

Colin
Colin Williams
Cwmdrysien Herd
New Forest
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Our briskets are fatty Colin, and very tasty. To throw them away and all the goodness in that grassfed meat and fat is bonkers.

IMHO if you produce a grade that is great for the steaks with good marbling, then you also get a lot of fat in the brisket. If you produce a carcass that has little fat in the brisket, I would imagine (never done it), that the steaks would have little marbling and the carcass not enough fat cover.

If the complaint was only about brisket being fatty then maybe you could offer to buy it back from him next time.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1296118766
Clive
davidw

Post by davidw »

I've just sold a steer to a local butcher for £3.35/kg. It was his first Dexter. He told some of his regular customers that he was getting Dexter Beef in and they placed advanced orders before the beef was mature. His cutter commented to me that there was much less waste than with the continental breeds they have used. Another comment was that the cutter found it much easier to handle a 95kg side than a 200 kg side.
David Williams
Gaveston Herd
Warwick
Colin

Post by Colin »

David for that price did you cover the costs of slaughter and delivery or did the butcher ?

Regards,

Colin
Colin Williams
Cwmdrysien Herd
New Forest
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

The Carcass weights are a dream to work with 100kg sides are still heavy but much more pleasant.

its a dexter good point, no doubt.

fantastic price
davidw

Post by davidw »

To answer your question Colin, I paid £62 abattoir costs, so the £3.35 per kg reduces to £3.02 per kg.
David Williams
Gaveston Herd
Warwick
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

£3.02 is still a good price though.
Clive
Colin

Post by Colin »

That is a good price. I charged recently £3.20 per kg and I pay £100 slaughter costs plus gov levy plus delivery £20. Works out around £2.70.

Regards,

Colin
Colin Williams
Cwmdrysien Herd
New Forest
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Have either of you tried the TBMM Scheme? Don't know what the premium is at the moment but it can be very good I think?
Clive