Its a miracle!!!

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
nuttalls

Its a miracle!!!

Post by nuttalls »

On saturday am a little heifer calf arrived, all well, on sunday it dissappeared we looked eveywhere had most of village looking. monday its mum went franctic still no trace and me no sleep, tuesday morning cow still mooing but jumped out 2 fields away, tuesday 5pm we went to bakewell, leaving villagers on gaurd but i thought it would be dead by then, 6pm returned from bakewell with a champion cow, :) on thursday, looked out my window at 9pm and the calf woz there very very hungry and hard to catch took on transport box on a rope to its mum who had gallons of milk after 4 days reunited. i didnt think they would last that long, really glad but a miracle heifer calf :) :) :)
j.nuttall
Rob R

Re: Its a miracle!!!

Post by Rob R »

Whoa - that's got to be a record? Pleased to hear a happy ending! :)

We once had a three-week old calf that didn't follow it's mum & the others at turnout, going in the opposite direction. We followed it, trying to steer it away from the main roads, for about 5 miles, before losing it, probably in some willow plantation, although we last saw it in the oak wood.

Anyway, we went home to collect the dam, who was quite frantic, and took her down to the area we'd last seen it and led her round on the halter, all the time calling for the calf but had to give up and return home when it got dark, and returned her to the field. The night was terrible, heavy rain & we were sure it'd have perished in a dyke or something. Then the next morning we got a phone call from a neighbour - he'd spotted the calf, only a few fields away from home, laid up under the hedge in the field next to his drive, presumably unable to get through the fence and sheltering from the rain. We took the cow to her and she came running. To have got stuck where it was the calf must have retraced it's steps & approached from the other end of the field it was in, no doubt able to hear it's mother calling. Not as impressive as your story, but I do think Dexters have that little more about them that helps in such situations.
Carol K

Re: Its a miracle!!!

Post by Carol K »

Amazing!! Congrats so happy you found it. I'm sure you must have been frantic trying to find it. I think after day 2 I would have been telling myself "forget it", just goes to show us all not to give up hope too soon.
Great Story thanks for sharing,

Carol K