Covers for outside ring feeders

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Penny

Covers for outside ring feeders

Post by Penny »

Am I the only one who likes to protect my bales in the ring feeders located outside? I hate seeing good bales getting a thorough soaking, and try to cover them with various things to help keep them in a decent state! Over the years I have done several searches and approached different companies without luck. Now I have found a company who will make them for me, so I thought I would find out whether other people are also interested? Alternatively, does any one know of a place which does already makes them?!
If you are interested, reply here or email me on thornhillfarm@btinternet.com
Penny
Rob R

Re: Covers for outside ring feeders

Post by Rob R »

We've all but stopped using ring feeders in favour of feed barriers to save going into the pens (not having a teleporter and having no 'traditional' buildings). But anyway, if ever we feed outside we roll the bales out to reduce poaching and it helps a little with reseeding if it's hay. I was speaking to someone last year (with a square feeder) about this though and he hadn't found any on the market but had got someone to make up a cover which used gas struts to help lift it when putting a bale in.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

made a cover for a Ritchie square bale feeder out of 1/4" ply, worked well with just a slight slope to turn water.

not sure how it much hassle it would be having to remove and refit in field with hungry cattle around.
Humberdale Dexters (31319)
Holderness
East Yorkshire
Penny

Post by Penny »

These are circular PVC covers I am talking about, secured by bungees through eyelets. I just undo one side and fold back before going into the field with the bale, so I can drop the bale in quickly, then get out of the tractor to flip the cover back over the new bale and secure again. Works well, but I have always improvised with tarpaulin squares etc none of which have been good enough quality to survive wind, rain and inquisitive Dexters! Now I think I have found some so just wondered how much interest there would be in these?
Jac

Post by Jac »

I only use yearling ring feeders not full size ones. Wynnstay sell 'stokboard' 8ft x 4 ft sheets that can be cut to shape with holes for cable ties (cut and replace). 'Stokboard' (recycled rigid plastic sheet) is indestructable and lasts for ever.
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

I use small round bales, they do not last long enough to need covered despite our monsoon weather, they can be rolled to different place to avoid poaching, no need for feeders, loaders, etc. The serious disadvantage will be the cost of wrap per ton of silage.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute