calf weights

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Kelvin and Lottie James

calf weights

Post by Kelvin and Lottie James »

Our short legged show heifer had to have a c-section delivery early hours saturday morning. The vet tried for two hours to pull the calf but decided there was no way we could pull it. The calf arrived, I rubbed it dry with a towel and within five minutes he was trying to stand. This is a short legged bull calf which we weighed Sunday afternoon. when he would be about 36 hours old. He wweighes 70lbs. I couldn't beleive it,but Kelvin did because he lifted him. I know he would have gained a little from his birth weight, but we would like to know what an average weight would be. Poor Magnolia is feeling very sorry for herself at the moment but she is eating and fussing the calf. We have been topping him up with a bottle three times a day, but he left some tonight, so obviously he is now getting enough from mum.
Lottie, Sedgefen Dexters
Louisa Gidney

Re: calf weights

Post by Louisa Gidney »

There's an article on Dexter calf birth weights in the Jan 2011 issue of the Dexter Bulletin. In a sample of 892 recorded birth weights, the mean was 21kg, the range 6-41kg and the standard deviation 4kg. A rough conversion of 70lbs is 31kg, so well above average but not the extreme of the recorded range.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

just a query about obtaining birth weights, how many days old can the calf be, presume they are putting on weight from hitting the udder so to speak.

nearly bought a larger light weight version of a set of pig scales for this purpose at york machinery sale a couple of years ago but someone wanted them more than me.
Humberdale Dexters (31319)
Holderness
East Yorkshire
Louisa Gidney

Post by Louisa Gidney »

Steve, yes weight at birth before suckling. Once a calf suckles the milk adds to the initial body weight and daily weight gain becomes exponential.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham
Carol K

Post by Carol K »

Was wondering if the article on birth weights is available to read online anywhere? If not would anyone be able to email me a copy of it? Really interested to read it.

Thanks
Carol K
Louisa Gidney

Post by Louisa Gidney »

Carol, the calf birth weights article was adapted from a more detailed discussion in my thesis. This will be available on CD in a couple of months time.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham
Carol K

Post by Carol K »

Thank you Louisa,
Would you add me to your list of wanting a copy please. Looking forward to it.

Carol K