Short legged heifers wanted

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Rob R

Short legged heifers wanted

Post by Rob R »

I saw this advert on farmingads.co.uk and couldn't resist passing it on;
I AM LOOKING FOR AROUND 2-4 IN CALF HEFIERS.
LIVE IN CO.DURHAM AND THEY WOULD HAVE TO BE DELIVERED DUE ME HAVING NO TRANSPORT. I WOULD LIKE A MIX OF COULOURS AND ALSO WANT THEM TO BE SHORT LEGGED. PLEASE TEXT ME ON: 07772225652
Oh, and they would like to pay £200 ono (I assume that's each...)
Rhamil24

Re: Short legged heifers wanted

Post by Rhamil24 »

Not sure where they get their price point from. Can't imagine any pedigree breeder will queue up to sell at that price and if they do all they'll achieve is devaluation of the breed!
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

:) Well we have a number and they have asked for a text perhaps a few considered opinions on price are in the offing?!

P.S. Thinking about it is there anyone out there with an acre that wouldn't appreciate 2-4 in calf heifer for £200 ono???
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

Well I'd like three or four in-calf heifers for £200 each too, but if you could make them long legged & dun, and all to calve on 24th April. :mrgreen:
ann

Post by ann »

you would have to be desperate to sell in calf heifers for £200 IMHO I have a couple and they certainly are not for sale at that price. :?
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

New advert today, fewer of them, less picky on being in calf, and willing to pay £50 more;
I AM LOOKING FOR 2, SHORT LEGGED,
ANY COLOUR PEDEGREE DEXTER HEFIERS.
I WOULD NEED THEM DELIVERING DUE TO ME HAVING NO
TRANSPORT. PLEASE TEXT ME ON: 07772225652
jim riding

Post by jim riding »

they are also wanting a jacob ram lamb ,they are willing to pay more for a lamb than a dexter heifer
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

jim riding wrote:they are also wanting a jacob ram lamb ,they are willing to pay more for a lamb than a dexter heifer
Oh yes, well spotted - £325! That says a lot.
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

I went with a friend last week and bought a very nice yearling Jacob ewe from a long established showing flock, scanned having twins for £100, so they are willing to pay top price for a Jacob ram but evidently don't value dexter heifers, or are just looking for anything going cheap?! :evil:
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
robin walker

Post by robin walker »

You are having a laugh , for the price you are offering can't imagine how you expect to get legs at all ?
Lerryn

Post by Lerryn »

Not quite £200, but close. This ad is in the Friday Ad.
i calf dexteres, we have 8 in calf dexers due march/april easy calvers all calved before various ages we are looking for 250.00 each but no sensible offer will be turned down, will split £250.00, Maldon, 07732521821
ann

Post by ann »

that says it all, is that another dexter owner who has over stretched them selves :(

Even the commercial beef people are feeling the pinch with all the cheap meat coming in from Poland and Ireland I don't know how many times I have tried to explaining to new people to the breed you must have a market before you build up a herd, past what you can sell to friends and family. :(
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

Sadly I've learned that you can't talk people out of expensive mistakes and they only learn through experience. The dream of having a few acres and producing your own beef is too strong so that it overrides the importance of doing the figures.

I may be sounding like a broken record but I don't think such people will stop unless they have competition from established breeders for quality stock. I try to bid things up at the sales I go to, but there's only so much I can do or I'd end up taking half the sale home, it also doesn't help when there's a good catalogue but some don't turn up because they've been sold privately beforehand.