A subject for another thread

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Rob R

Re: A subject for another thread

Post by Rob R »

Jac wrote:
surely the £250 buyer gets their moneys-worth and no more, no less?
Yes, they do but that sets the bench mark for the price of a Dexter to people who know nothing about them.
I know nothing about wine but I do know that there are some people out there selling individual bottles of the stuff for £1000, while I can go to Tesco and get one for £6. That is a diverse market for you, you can't expect everyone to sell at £1000.

What does it matter if your beef and quality breeding stock are both selling well? You don't breed for numbers so you are maintaining your own exclusivity. The thing about benchmarking is that you need something to compare it to, otherwise you're operating a monopoly.
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

Jac wrote:Trouble is, you rarely find quality Dexters on special offer.
I dunno, Turtle Dove seems quite a special offering, and as the progeny of the top assessed cow in the UK, surely £1000 is a very good deal?
Jac

Post by Jac »

Rob R wrote:
I dunno, Turtle Dove seems quite a special offering, and as the progeny of the top assessed cow in the UK, surely £1000 is a very good deal?
No don't you start, I keep looking.
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

Jac wrote:
Rob R wrote:
No don't you start, I keep looking.
I've already started, not got very far yet but...
Louisa Gidney

Post by Louisa Gidney »

Going back a few posts to Jac's comment about round bales. Yes, I do indeed remember seeing one for the first time when I was about 12 ish. Local farmer with state of the art kit for the '60's haytimed field next to our house with round bales of similar size to square bales. No-one at the time could see the point.
Sadly, I'm stuck with small bales as I can lead & stack 50 at a time single handed. I had started down the round bales route but the chap I relied on to put the bales in the cradle has thrown a hissy fit about another matter (we're exchanging solicitors letters at vast and totally unnecessary expense) so it's back to the old system.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham
victorfirst

Post by victorfirst »

Shaun what is the live weight of your cattle when you get 100kg of meat in fridge
ShaunP

Post by ShaunP »

victorfirst wrote:Shaun what is the live weight of your cattle when you get 100kg of meat in fridge
Sorry but I dont have the facility to weigh them before they go so I only have the on hook weight. Mine usually go when it suits me for grass management and I dont keep any stocck on site around my TB test date so I get an exemption.

I have the breakdown of what came back, just havent got round to posting it yet!!
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

Going back to field cows for a moment, I notice the group dynamic changes behaviour, the bigger the herd is...
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

In what way Rob - now this is a serious subject....Cowology my favourite...a different thread? :)

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

Good idea, I've elaborated slightly on the new thread.
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

The irony suddenly struck me this evening, while returning from moving the cows, how the highest priced cattle are both those high health ones that are kept apart and never in contact with other cattle, and show cattle...