Weaned Calfs

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Gwyn Morris

Weaned Calfs

Post by Gwyn Morris »

Hi, I'm mew to keeping Dexters. I have just weaned a 7 month old heifer calf and have just bought another couple of young heifers to go with her. I'm looking for some advice on what's best to feed them? I give them hay every day and they have a mineral lick. Is this enough?

Gwyn
Rob R

Re: Weaned Calfs

Post by Rob R »

That's essentially all we give them, forage plus a seaquim bucket, although we do reserve the best forage for the youngsters.
Gwyn Morris

Post by Gwyn Morris »

Thanks Rob, Im trying to find a supplier for Seaquim nr Lampeter, West Wales but haven't managed to find one yet! Do you feed your cows the same?
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

Ascott do it by the single bag & mail order, I'm guessing that buying in bulk wouldn't be practical for you?

The cows do get similar with a mixture of clover leys and meadow hay, and all get lump rocksalt as well.
Gwyn Morris

Post by Gwyn Morris »

I only have 8 animals so i wouldn't get through a pallet over the winter. I'll have a look to see what i can find.

thanks for all your help.

Gwyn
Jac

Post by Jac »

Gwyn Morris wrote:Thanks Rob, Im trying to find a supplier for Seaquim nr Lampeter, West Wales but haven't managed to find one yet! Do you feed your cows the same?
There was an agent in Cardigan I think he does delivery.

Aled George
01239 612679
Gwyn Morris

Post by Gwyn Morris »

I think he had retired now Jac. WD Lewis in Lampeter are becoming stockists in the next week or so.

Gwyn
cairnhill

Post by cairnhill »

How to people find the Seaquim compared to other licks? They seem to be a reasonable price and organic so might give them a go.
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

I find they last longer than Crystalyx, the other non-grain based option, but I haven't tried any of the grain ones. The biggest issue I can think of is the shape - a 25kg seaquim bucket is very hard work to carry any distance compared to the square, and slightly lighter Crystalyx at 22.5kg.

They're slightly more expensive per kg (£1.02 v 87p) but then they're also organic and, I think, they consume slightly less of the seaquim, like for like. If you're trying to get energy into them it's perhaps better to give straight molasses with their forage & the seaweed meal free-access.
cairnhill

Post by cairnhill »

Thanks for that Rob, I think I might give them a try once I'm through my current pallet. The price sounds good compared to the Crystalyx Organic range! The current pallet I have a Dallas Keith and are a similar price to the Seaquim, however they come as 20kg blocks, easy to put out put I end up finding loads of empty buckets for miles around. I might be tempted to try some of the 100kg blocks for my main group.
Rhamil24

Post by Rhamil24 »

I've used Seaquim very successfully over the last three years. 25kg Buckets of Seaquim Original out in the fields in summer and the bagged version (Seaquim Elite) to mix with concentrates in winter when the herd is housed.
I deal directly with The Glenside Group in Scotland who are incredibly helpful and will deliver via a carrier direct to us. I normally buy 75kgs at a time (buckets or bags) and the freight cost is just £24.50 Might be worth dealing with them direct? Contact number is 01506-420959.
Hope that helps.

Roddy