Dexter x limousin

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
sues

Dexter x limousin

Post by sues »

Has anyone had any experience of using a limousin bull on Dexter cows? We are buying a limousin bull to use on our non Dexter cows and I'm not sure if to split the dexters and AI them with Angus semen which I nornally do. Any advice would be appreciated.
Rob R

Re: Dexter x limousin

Post by Rob R »

A Lim on a Dexter is the only time I've had to have a c-section. Never again. Useful if you want to introduce a bit of mental temperament into the Dexter though.
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Couldn't agree more.....(although I have had a c section on a very undersized heifer I had just bought in that turned out to be in calf to a Hereford :cry: .)

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

Sorry but why would you ever want to do a cross like that, surely nothing but trouble!!
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
LISA

Post by LISA »

Hello Sues

I would strongly not recommend this, to use your own phrase "I'm not sure if to split the dexters". I think birthing a Limmy Calf may well "split" them!

Best Wishes Lisa Bell (Mother of a 9lb 8oz offspring and a 10lb 10oz offspring at birth, and so advise using personal memory!)
monica a waltho

Post by monica a waltho »

Something I would probably hesitate about myself unless it was the larger dexter but I bought two non short cows but not huge cows perhaps leaning more to the dairy side one with charolais heifer at foot and other with limi steer both have tuned out to be sensible animals. The cows were both back in calf to the Limi bull - both calved down last year completely unaided to bull calves who grew very well> I then sold these two cows with these calves at about 6 months old.It was the calves that made him purchase the cows - I believe he sold the calves as stores for 520.
I have seen dexters with simmental and belguim blue calves apparently calving them ok
Think you need to make sure you knew it was easy calving bull and I would not put on short or small non shorts. I have put some of mine to Angus this time. I will let you know what happens.
Also if you are not very experienced with cattle or calvings I would not recommend.
Monica Waltho (01536)
(see Smallwood Dexters on facebook)
Staffordshire