Changes to Showing Rules

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Jac

Re: Changes to Showing Rules

Post by Jac »

Rob R wrote:
ann wrote:Although I don't show any more, shows in the north definitely need more dexters being shown and I personally think if you are starting a herd and wish to show, then start with the best you can afford, a lot of people show dexters bred by other people Eagleridge Roxy Lady is a good example, although I showed her as a heifer I could never campaigned her like Graham as done. I hope some of the cattle sold on saturday will grace the northern shows as we certainly need a few new competitors :)
Do we, really? Showing is a costly business, and is getting harder for younger folk with more licensing (animal & vehicle), insurance, time and, ultimately, animals gaining a greater value simply because of the showing. The Dexter has always prided itself on being the thrifty house cow but I can't see much thrift in an animal that costs several thousand to buy and transport around the countryside, is fed differently, etc., etc. As a hobby, it's fine, but as a way to judge cattle isn't, perhaps, linear assessment a fairer, more transparent way for the future?

Given increasing concerns over biosecurity, cancelled shows due to weather or lack of entries, perhaps showing has had it's day. I'd like to think that the breed still has a value away from showing, as a cow, back on the farm, and it is this that will secure it's future.
If the following prices are a reflection of a 'value away from the showring' then Lord help us all!
Re: York Sale
Postby Rob R » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:26 pm

Not very many Dexters at all today, 30 lots in total.

Pedigree
Cows (2) av. 315gns
Heifers (3) av. 116.6
Bull (1) 280 NS
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

Jac wrote:
Rob R wrote:
ann wrote:Although I don't show any more, shows in the north definitely need more dexters being shown and I personally think if you are starting a herd and wish to show, then start with the best you can afford, a lot of people show dexters bred by other people Eagleridge Roxy Lady is a good example, although I showed her as a heifer I could never campaigned her like Graham as done. I hope some of the cattle sold on saturday will grace the northern shows as we certainly need a few new competitors :)
Do we, really? Showing is a costly business, and is getting harder for younger folk with more licensing (animal & vehicle), insurance, time and, ultimately, animals gaining a greater value simply because of the showing. The Dexter has always prided itself on being the thrifty house cow but I can't see much thrift in an animal that costs several thousand to buy and transport around the countryside, is fed differently, etc., etc. As a hobby, it's fine, but as a way to judge cattle isn't, perhaps, linear assessment a fairer, more transparent way for the future?

Given increasing concerns over biosecurity, cancelled shows due to weather or lack of entries, perhaps showing has had it's day. I'd like to think that the breed still has a value away from showing, as a cow, back on the farm, and it is this that will secure it's future.
If the following prices are a reflection of a 'value away from the showring' then Lord help us all!
Re: York Sale
Postby Rob R » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:26 pm

Not very many Dexters at all today, 30 lots in total.

Pedigree
Cows (2) av. 315gns
Heifers (3) av. 116.6
Bull (1) 280 NS
I said value, not price :wink:
car

Post by car »

As Ann quite rightly states ,the shows need entries. Most decent folk don't mind opposition. It's a mystery to me why you would wish to win with only 2 in the class.
irrespective of who bred or bought it, A good animal is something to ASPIRE to.
For those people who insist on finding nasty ways to eliminate the operation , why no go and take a good look at your own animals and embark on a breeding program (it takes years )that will not only produce you a good show animal but will also provide you with some consistently good breeding stock This can only be good for the breed. Or don't you care about the breed.
COME ON FOLKS what happened to fun friendly shows. It's not going to change your life ,win or lose.

I for one really miss the good times in showing.
Candy

Post by Candy »

car wrote:As Ann quite rightly states ,the shows need entries. Most decent folk don't mind opposition. It's a mystery to me why you would wish to win with only 2 in the class.
irrespective of who bred or bought it, A good animal is something to ASPIRE to.
For those people who insist on finding nasty ways to eliminate the operation , why no go and take a good look at your own animals and embark on a breeding program (it takes years )that will not only produce you a good show animal but will also provide you with some consistently good breeding stock This can only be good for the breed. Or don't you care about the breed.
COME ON FOLKS what happened to fun friendly shows. It's not going to change your life ,win or lose.

I for one really miss the good times in showing.
Very well said. Couldn't agree more.
Candy

Post by Candy »

Just a thought but with all this talk about an ineligable (by Dcs rules) animal getting champion and stopping an eligable reserve champion getting their hard earned points. Does it work the other way in that if an ineligable person gets placed well down the line and an eligable person gets champion, does this mean that any animals the ineligable person sbows will not be added to the champions points? after all fair is fair it should work both ways. Just a thought !
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

If an animal is disqualified for some reason at a show where DCS points are counted then the points for that animal are removed but does not effect any other animal at that show. If it came 3rd out of 6 then the winner of the class still gets 6 points as it still beat the disqualified animal. If the champion is a disqualified animal then it gets no points but the rest of the placing's stand, ie reserve champion is not promoted to champion and in the champions class the 2nd place is not promoted to 1st. this is how we work with the show points. Not sure I have got my point across brilliantly but I am sure someone will let me know !!
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

Mark Bowles wrote:If an animal is disqualified for some reason at a show where DCS points are counted then the points for that animal are removed but does not effect any other animal at that show. If it came 3rd out of 6 then the winner of the class still gets 6 points as it still beat the disqualified animal. If the champion is a disqualified animal then it gets no points but the rest of the placing's stand, ie reserve champion is not promoted to champion and in the champions class the 2nd place is not promoted to 1st. this is how we work with the show points. Not sure I have got my point across brilliantly but I am sure someone will let me know !!
It sounds perfectly clear to me.
Buryhill Dexters

Post by Buryhill Dexters »

Mark Bowles wrote:The rule is only for DCS show points, nothing else.
So to clarify then Mark the "Rules" as published on the Society website are only for DCS show points, then if one is not interested in points - so therefore disregard rule #1, then it is also ok to disregard rule #2 and show a non pedigree (or even crossbred) animal ?

Your comment makes an absolute mockery of the rules, as far as I understand if it is printed in black and white on the Society website under the heading "RULES FOR SHOWING" and clearly states " 1. When showing a pedigree animal in any pedigree Dexter class an exhibitor must be a member of the Dexter Cattle Society and have officially owned the animal for 3 months prior to entry for the show." then this is the rule !

I have read the document several times and no where on there does it state that these rules are only in relation the DCS points, therefore this needs to be addressed and if altered publish to clarify.

Barry
2loo2loo

Post by 2loo2loo »

Barry, this thread was started as a follow on from a comment I made on the dispersal sale at Worcs market of the Northbrook herd. I commented that I hoped anybody reading the DCS 2016 showing rules had not been put of buying animals because of the three month ruling. Mark commented that these rules were for collecting showing points only, if you read the rules nowhere does it state this so I believe my comment regarding purchasing animals to be justified. It is obvious the the rules are flawed and will have to be rewritten for next season as this years showing season is underway. Different show society's have different rules on how long you must own animals, in my opinion if the DCS is to continue with the point system these rules are the ones to go for in the points system then we will not have conflicting rules. The DCS would have to monitor the rule by knowing each show society's time of ownership ruling and referring to length of ownership of point achieving animals. Would assume this is possible as they must be able to monitor the three month ruling in the 2016 showing guide. Peter Gardner.
Buryhill Dexters

Post by Buryhill Dexters »

Peter,
as there has been no reply to my previous comment from Mark I contacted the DCS directly for clarification and the reply was categorical - It is a rule not guideline and the member is to have officially owned the animal for 3 months prior to entry - NOT JUST FOR THE POINTS BUT TO SHOW THE ANIMAL which is very straightforward and therefore anybody who sees it fit to show an animal which they have owned for less than 3 months will be breaking DCS rules !

Maybe there has been no reply from Mark as he realises he was wrong with his previous comment ???

Barry
solburydexters

Post by solburydexters »

You will find some members of trustees are quite capable of interpreting the 'Rules' to suit themselves often with the knowledge of some other trustees but maybe not all. Usually this is to the advantage of themselves, family or friends. A clear 'conflict of interest' but why worry? Ranks are then closed when the matter is raised and accusations that the rule was misinterpreted by the person who raised the issue. Rules have been changed retrospectively if it suits or even just ignored. I raised all of this at the last AGM. We then get the old chestnut 'trustees are hard working for the good of the members and the charity and it is all voluntry.'
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

Harsh words Mr Carrington...
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
moomin

Post by moomin »

Spanner in works!
How would a person who is not a member but was an owner of a Dexter know the rules for showing?
They could buy a registered Dexter, own it, have a receipt and a passport, and show it without being a member! They do not have to transfer it to be an owner.
Some shows do not state run under DCS rules!
This has happened in the past.
She who has been around a long time!
Di
Louisa Gidney

Post by Louisa Gidney »

Returning to Ann's comment that shows in the north need support, over 20 Dexters were forward at Cumberland show on Saturday. One herd that had entered wasn't forward, or there would have been more Dexters than went to Great Harwood.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham
nuttalls

Post by nuttalls »

shame it,s on same day as honley show, but that can,t be helped 11 dexters at honley, jean
j.nuttall