DEXTERS FOR AUCTION 30 APRIL 2016

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Candy

Re: DEXTERS FOR AUCTION 30 APRIL 2016

Post by Candy »

Well what an emotional day. To see the dispersal of a herd that had been carefully and selectively bred over more than 20 years was an awful thing to witness, especially as it shouldn't have happened.

The herd had won numerous championships over many years under many different judges and the length and breadth of the country so all accolades were justly earned.

Many of those there were in tears as Lisa has already said and I know Graham and Sam were very emotional and reduced to tears when people showed support and hugs.

I was lucky enough to secure some of my favourites although not all and I am still very emotional about that but I had to save myself to bid on my boy Apple.

I'll never be a good businesswoman cos I am too sentimental.

Lisa, you gave me a run for my money but was lovely to catch up afterwards.

Many people there were incredibly supportive and I lost count of the amount of hugs and good will I got from lovely people who knew how attached I was to those beasties. Many of them were genuinely happy that I had managed to get them and couldn't wait to congratulate me and insisted I get out on the show circuit asap. Others weren't so supportive.

I can't help keep going out and looking at them especially my boy, I cry every time I see him standing there.

Candy
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

All the best Candy, it will be nice to see you on the show circuit and the cattle you have deserve it.
On another note, I just thought about entering Rutland Show, the rules state you have to be the bona fida owner of the cattle for 60 days prior to the show, the wifes cow will have to stay at home!!
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Candy

Post by Candy »

Mark Bowles wrote:All the best Candy, it will be nice to see you on the show circuit and the cattle you have deserve it.
On another note, I just thought about entering Rutland Show, the rules state you have to be the bona fida owner of the cattle for 60 days prior to the show, the wifes cow will have to stay at home!!

Oh dear, very disappointing for Caroline but I've noticed a few shows have that ruling. They all differ slightly - some are less so lets hope she will get out to some.
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

Sadly some shows have to have rules about length of time an animal has been owned by the exhibitor before being eligible, people will even borrow animals just to win the show. I am not talking Dexters here, it could be any breed and any species.

For example one year we had THREE types of Leicester sheep at the Bute show - yes, Blue Faced Leicester, Border Leicester, and BORROWED Leicester. It is probably lurking the the fine print rules of a lot of shows and nothing to do with Dexters.

One can only guess why it is topical in Dexter circles at the moment.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
2loo2loo

Post by 2loo2loo »

Rules are not guidelines. Showing rules 2016. Rules of showing exhibitor.
I. When showing a pedigree animal in any pedigree Dexter class an exhibitor must be a member of the DCS and have officially owned the animal 3 months prior to entry for the show.
Am I correct in thinking this applies to all Dexter 2016 show dates?
10. Any pedigree shown under agricultural society rules, and not complying with the DCS rules, will not be included in the DCS show results, nor be eligible for any DCS show trophies or points.
Does this mean you can ignore the rules, show an animal, possibly win breed champion or reserve and deny the next entrant points in the Dexter show point system.
I believe the 2016 showing rules are flawed and open to abuse. They could leave the DCS council open to criticism which I assume they are keen to avoid. Most exhibitors adhere to the rules but, as in all walks of life there are always a few looking for a way to "get around" rules. Rule 1 must be adhered to in its entirety. 3 months means 3 months. RULES ARE RULES. Peter Gardner.
car

Post by car »

Are you saying then Peter that the majority of the showing people , who don't give a dam about points , ( which by the way I think should be banned as they course to much trouble ) are less important than the points chasers, and you would deny them of even going to a show at all,just so that you can potentially gain some points.!!!

Mark has already said the rule only apply to the points.
2loo2loo

Post by 2loo2loo »

Like yourself, I too believe the point system should be scrapped, they cause dissent, have been open to abuse, and now, as of last year trophies are not awarded due to I believe insurance purposes.
I do not have a problem with people buying an animal and showing it as soon as possible, but with the present point system this is open to abuse. A breed champion can pick up considerable points, if an eligible exhibitor was reserve champion to a exhibitor who would be getting his points removed I believe this cannot be right.
What I believe most fervently in is fairness, if you have rules they must be written so there are no loopholes and can be implicated to the letter otherwise they are pointless. When rule one says "MUST be a member of the DCS and officially owned the animal 3 months prior to entry for the show" If that means you can enter a show one month after purchasing an animal without breaking a rule then I accept my ignorance.
I also believe as many entrants as possible, to enhance the breed, to create competition and to create a spectacle for the paying public.
If the point system is scrapped and rewards and rules were from the show society running the show I would welcome it for its simplicity. It certainly would have eliminated the last few years unrest between exhibitors and the DCS council. Peter Gardner.
Candy

Post by Candy »

2loo2loo wrote:Like yourself, I too believe the point system should be scrapped, they cause dissent, have been open to abuse, and now, as of last year trophies are not awarded due to I believe insurance purposes.
Peter Gardner.
Perhaps this year they will revert back to handing out the trophies.

Perhaps they will also revert back to the one month ownership rule very soon too.
2loo2loo

Post by 2loo2loo »

Candy you say "revert back to the one month rule" where have you read this? I cant see how they can change the rules, they were only altered in Nov 2015 and the showing season is under way and a show have been attended under present rules.
Pretty certain the reason the trophies weren't handed out in 2015 was because of insurance issues. Will be very difficult unless winners are responsible for insuring trophies, this will be complicated to do as winners are not known until trophies are awarded. If winners were informed prior to awards the society would need proof of insurance as word of mouth would not be good enough. The society would find it very difficult to insure trophies when not in their possession as they would have no knowledge of security. Peter Gardner.
Last edited by 2loo2loo on Thu May 05, 2016 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

I have to say I was very pissed off not to be able to take the trophy home from the AGM. A great disappointment, spoiled the moment. I had no clue I was going to be awarded the President's trophy, but having won it some years ago AND taken it home, I can say what a great honour it was to have been awarded it, and to have it there with me in my home for a year, for all friends and visitors to see. For those who do not know the President's trophy is a silver cow, very nice to look at too. Everyone coming into the house can see it. But what interest is there in a cheap whisky glass, even if it does have the DCS logo engraved on it?

How much greater must have been the disappointment of those who won the major showing trophies to have to leave them behind. I did not see much evidence of security at the AGM. What cover was in place for that? DCS should arrange insurance, not the winner. The society is not poor.

In fact the Society hoards money given to it in memory of more than one prominent member rather than do something memorable with it.Some memorial funds have been held for about 10 years, £1000 given by the deceased member's family. Another four figure sum held for 5 or 6 years.

Not how a charity should behave.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Candy

Post by Candy »

2loo2loo wrote:Candy you say "revert back to the one month rule" where have you read this? I cant see how they can change the rules, they were only altered in Nov 2015 and the showing season is under way and a show have been attended under present rules.
Pretty certain the reason the trophies weren't handed out in 2015 was because of insurance issues. Will be very difficult unless winners are responsible for insuring trophies, this will be complicated to do as winners are not known until trophies are awarded. If winners were informed prior to awards the society would need proof of insurance as word of mouth would not be good enough. The society would not be able to insure trophies when not in their possession as they would have no knowledge of security. Peter Gardner.
............I did say perhaps they will revert back and perhaps they will hand out the trophies this year......
2loo2loo

Post by 2loo2loo »

Candy, sorry for any confusion, I understand you say revert back to the one month rule. What I was asking was where have you read there WAS a one month rule. Peter Gardner.
Candy

Post by Candy »

2loo2loo wrote:Candy, sorry for any confusion, I understand you say revert back to the one month rule. What I was asking was where have you read there WAS a one month rule. Peter Gardner.
Well I an new to this and I do get confused but I thought the rules last year were one month? Mayb that was just for shows? Either way I think it is a pretty unfair ruling by Dcs and so do other people.
As I say I do get confused!!
natmadaboutdexters

Post by natmadaboutdexters »

Herts County Show charge winners £30 to receive their trophy and this is refunded when the cup is returned the following year. I assume that this helps towards the insurance costs. Could the Society consider this? Admitedly, you dont get to take the trophy home straoght from the show and you have to either collect it or have it posted out to you but at least you still get to display it for the year.

Natasha