Di Smith Linear

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
PorcPrunus NL

Re: Di Smith Linear

Post by PorcPrunus NL »

Mark Bowles wrote:Our UK linear scheme is totally open to members who wish any of their stock to be scored, its their choice, most recognise a good animal and therefore put them forward. The next stage on is to classify whole herds and every animal but I doubt many members will go for that so we are where we are. I personally have females with up to 9 animals on their green pedigrees that are classified VG or EX, next year when I breed my younger bull on some young females nearly every animal on the green pedigree will be classified, surely that has to mean something to someone and help me get a sale.
In Holland, were we have much smaller herds, lineair scoring is just ALL animals, cows if calved once, but may be dry. Bulls older than 15 months. Every animal is being scored, the good and the bad. It's all for the same price. I think it's an essential thing to score also the bad animals to get a good view on what's going on.
Nico & Annemiek,
the "PorcPrunus" Herd in Holland.
member of Holland Dexter ( www.Dexterkoe.nl )
nuttalls

Post by nuttalls »

just a quick question,how can all herds be classified if people keep shorts underheight,due to last time we had ours classified 3 were underheight and wouldn't score, but they have green certs and are good enough in showring,thanx jean :? :?
j.nuttall
nuttalls

Post by nuttalls »

one heifer in mind has very high scoring parents but was born a short,she has had an excellent non short bull calf,but can,t be classified,how can this help the breed, no one seems to measure cows in the showring.thanx jean :( :)
j.nuttall
Jac

Post by Jac »

PorcPrunus NL wrote:
Mark Bowles wrote:Our UK linear scheme is totally open to members who wish any of their stock to be scored, its their choice, most recognise a good animal and therefore put them forward. The next stage on is to classify whole herds and every animal but I doubt many members will go for that so we are where we are. I personally have females with up to 9 animals on their green pedigrees that are classified VG or EX, next year when I breed my younger bull on some young females nearly every animal on the green pedigree will be classified, surely that has to mean something to someone and help me get a sale.
In Holland, were we have much smaller herds, lineair scoring is just ALL animals, cows if calved once, but may be dry. Bulls older than 15 months. Every animal is being scored, the good and the bad. It's all for the same price. I think it's an essential thing to score also the bad animals to get a good view on what's going on.
Do they refuse to score those that do not fall into the height range?
nuttalls

Post by nuttalls »

yes,they did jac xx
j.nuttall
Jac

Post by Jac »

nuttalls wrote:yes,they did jac xx
Sorry no, I was asking whether the system in Holland refuses to score outside the height range.