Transport Certification - New regulations Application forms

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Ted Neal

Post by Ted Neal »

The application forms are now available to download from the defra website (www.defra.gov.uk/animal/welfare). The form is WIT 1 (Rev. 10/06). This form is valid for journeys over 65km and up to 8 hours. It has been issued by the Welfare in Transport Section, State Veterinary Srervice, Block C, Government Buildings, Whittington Road, Worcester WR5 2SU. As the rules start January 2007 - there is likely to be a substantial backlog.
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

Very useful, Ted, I must get a proper journey plan from Bute to Melton Mowbray. No word at all of food drink and toilet arrangements for the driver I see.

Duncan, marginally worried about the food, more so about the drink, and not at all about the toilet as I happen to know that by ancient law a carter is entitled to relieve himself against the offside wheel of the cart.
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Correct link to website is www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/welfare
Humberdale Dexters (31319)
Holderness
East Yorkshire
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Received licence through post end of last week.

Leaflets warn of possible delays in issueing licence due to concentrating on long distance ones first, but I got mine back within 3 weeks.

For the time it takes to apply I think its worth it even if you don't think it will apply to you, then you are safe.
Holderness
East Yorkshire
groubearfarm

Post by groubearfarm »

In Devon we have been advised to carry a copy of the application in the vehicle with the cattle until the licence certificate comes through, so we are not expecting them for a while. Another reason for applying for the certificate now is that it is expected that the SVS will charge for the licence in the future. There is an article on the DCS website in Devon Group News written after a couple of members had attended SVS training. I think it is more 'jobs for the boys!!'
Fiona Miles
Groubear Dexters 31527
Groubear Farm
Cruwys Morchard
Devon
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

To be honest I didn't expect to get a licence through till late in 2007, so applied early to be safe, and also due to it being free at the moment.

Looks also as if you will also need some training by 2008, though they dont know what training, or who will be doing it.

Think the whole thing can be summed up by my father receiving a telephone call from SVS, asking for my email address so the could presumably send a PDF file with the licence for me to print, he didn't know my email so they sent a paper copy by post.

My email address is actually printed on the licence!
Holderness
East Yorkshire
SteveM

Re: Transport Certification - New regulations Application fo

Post by SteveM »

Just received renewed licence through post, doesnt 5 years fly by!

Have any of you actually been stopped in the 5 years since this came in? Either regarding the transport certificate, or the subsequent competence certificate, or even regarding tachograph legislation?

Merry christmas to all.
Holderness
East Yorkshire
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

Two of our farm clients were stopped in late 2010, I think one just got a warning for no tacho but the other had other defects and was done. I went to all the trouble of having my trailer and land rover approved for UK over 12 hour journeys, just to have it all scuppered by the tacho rules. If followed to the letter I would have to take working hours all through the week into account to ensure I was still within driver hours at weekend, eg to go to a sale at Carlisle. So even if I spent the money getting the thing put in, I would never be sure I could go anywhere anyway.

At the moment I am balancing the advantage of a land rover defender with an Ifor Williams demountable 10ft trailer against buying say an Isuzu 3.5ton pickup, putting the livestock body off the Ifor Williams on it, and selling the land rover and trailer which I have small sides for. The Isuzu has the advantage over transits and other similar things of being under 5 meters, critical size for ferry tickets. I would then get a small vehicle of some sort for work and running about after my cows locally. Main downside I can see is that I go places with the defender that a small car or 4x4 would not go, even up the road to feed the cattle in winter might be tricky without it. We have had more frost and snow here in the last two winters than in the last 20 combined, hopefully that will not continue. This year it seems to be wind that is the problem.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Duncan - Get a 25 year old landrover. No need for tacho then unless they've changed the rules, but it might take you some time to get wherever you're going!

Steve - did your renewed license just arrive or was another test required?
Clive
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Clive.

What I have received is a renewed type 1 animal transporter authorisation, which is according to the covering letter being issued automatically as long as you have a history of compliance with the welfare legislation, all I have to do is return an attached questionaire tickihg yes to several boxes to confirm I am following the rules. It applies to the company rather than an individual.

Its not the animall transporter competence certificate that you have for moving animals, or as a market drover, which came in in 2008, which if valid for 5 years comes up for renewal in 2013. guessing that one wont be as simple to renew.
Holderness
East Yorkshire
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Email received this morning, type 1 transporter authorisation needs renewing in Jan 17.

looks to be a form to fil in and sign giving details of existing license
Holderness
East Yorkshire