Cows in Zoos

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Rob R

Cows in Zoos

Post by Rob R »

Last week I went to Flamingo Land in North Yorkshire, and found that they had two Dexter cows. I was pretty appauled that the public think that is what a Dexter cow looks like tbh.

They were not calved and only had an enclosure that couldn't be described as a field and, I suspect, fed concentrates, which made them hideously obese. I was just wondering if anyone else had seen them/had any dealings with the company?

It would perhaps be better if they could have a couple of steers or heifers on rotation with a breeder who didn't mind concentrate feeding. The more exotic animals all seemed to be in good shape.
LISA

Re: Cows in Zoos

Post by LISA »

Hello Rob, we used to take our boys to Flamingo Land when we lived in Newark. I can't remember them having Dexters then (and no it was not me that sold these to them!). I am surprised that Flamingo land has animals at all really, as an observation when we went the animals did not seem at all popular for Joe Public to look at (or mostly just the families with very young families).

I have seen Dexters in other Zoo's which were also really poor examples of the breed, and obese (pot kettle black!), I guess the Zoo just want cheap pen fillers, Joe Public don't care what they look like.

We are taking a group of teenage boys to Drayton Manor tomorrow - they will go round the park on their own and are only interested in the high thrill roller coasters - Philip and I will sedately view the animals by Cable Car (will let you know if I see any obese Dexters) - might be fattening them up for Lion Fodder!

Best Wishes

Lisa Bell
ann

Post by ann »

The dexters at flamingo have been there for many years, they where given to them by some one who could no longer look after them on the conditions that they where never sold on and lived their lives out there. I didn't realize that they still had them as they must be quite an age by now. They have never calved since they have been up there, as the zoo didn't want any more dexters, they where actually quite nice when they first got them and before i knew the circumstances, i did suggest that they would have been better just having a couple of youngsters each year. I guess when they finally go to the big place in the sky they will not replace them
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

Thank you for the explanation Ann - I think it is a clear demonstration of what happens to a cow that doesn't calve. I've never seen a cow so fat before, it was like double muscled, only without the muscle. Their feet looked trimmed, or at least well worn, I'm sure they were regularly wormed too.

It's a lot cheaper going in winter but some of the animals don't come out much! My daughter's favourite animals are the zebras and at least they were out. The hippos were just wallowing, which didn't look very warm in January but they seemed perfectly happy.