Historic Woodmagic Semen Still Required

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Saffy

Historic Woodmagic Semen Still Required

Post by Saffy »

I run a herd called Duffryn Dexters derived from pure Woodmagic breeding. At the moment I am continuing to breed as Beryl Rutherford did by keeping my herd closed but this cannot go on much longer unless I can purchase some historic semen.

So I am asking!!! Has anyone got ANY Woodmagic straws? It can just be one straw, or as many as you like and the more historic the better I am willing to pay well for whatever you have. Please don't tell me that the Dexter Cattle Society have them, I do know and they won't let me buy any.

Not Woodmagic Hedgehog 4th, he is on AI but he is my own bull.

If you are not in the UK they would need to be suitable for import. I am looking for the really historic straws, so PLEASE check what you have. If you have anything please contact me I would be thrilled!.

Thank you! Stephanie Powell

...P.S. If you have a bull that is PURE Woodmagic in his breeding but not closely related to Hedgehog 3rd or 4th - I would be very interested indeed, the prefix is neither here nor there it is the breeding I am after!

Edited to say that...if you have a cow that is PURE Woodmagic in her breeding but not too closely related to Hedgehog 3rd or 4th - I would also be interested regardless of whose prefix she carries.
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Kirk- Cascade Herd US

Re: Historic Woodmagic Semen Still Required

Post by Kirk- Cascade Herd US »

Breed Hedgehog IV on your best females that are the least related to Hedgehog IV.

Pick the best bull calf(or two), and breed that calf back on his own mother (or another cow that doesn't have much Hedgehog) to get another bull calf that is only 25% Hedgehog IV...

Breed that 25% hedgehog bull calf back on his own mother to get a bull that is only 12% hedgehog. This process will help you create a bull that's nearly 90% of one of your best female's genetics and not much related to Hedgehog.... Still 100% Woodmagic
Louisa Gidney

Re: Historic Woodmagic Semen Still Required

Post by Louisa Gidney »

Kirk, how long would your proposed breeding programme take? Some of us are no longer spring chickens......
My recent planned attempts to breed a bull have all resulted in heifers.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham